Buy Ampeg SVT Classic 300w head??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Carter, Oct 13, 2021 at 3:42 AM.

1. Buy one, and while you’re at it, buy me one too. I would like an SVT head. Actually I think Ampeg should make a V6B; a 200 watt RMS all tube bass amp that would likely bridge the gap between the V4B and the SVT.:cool:

hbabels likes this.
  2. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would totally be on board with this.

Johnny Fingers likes this.
  3. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Then I'll have to give another try again! Because every time I compared the 2 and the 7, I couldn't hear any difference.
    However, I play clean, no dirt. That could be the reason why.

4. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    No. Play it with a band or on stage. The SVT CL has presence. Your bass tone is in the room with you, like it is an entity.

hbabels likes this.
  5. Searay

Searay

May 20, 2012
    When you think of "bass amp" I think of the SVT. Heavy? yea, solid? yea, versatile? yea. The sound to me is quick and tight. Yo will always have enough power, and I think they sound pretty good even at low volume. I'd say transport is probably the major decision to make. I don't need to move mine so I enjoy it.

Mastermold and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  6. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Well.... i guess I have to rethink my point and try it live.I really hope it's not that good, because I don't want to lug around such an amp ;)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 7:34 AM
    Mantis Tobaggan and rodl2005 like this.
  7. I play clean 80% of the time too. I feel there's a good deal of difference.
    No right or wrong, it's great that we all like different things.
    In the last 10 yrs, I'm using either a Super Bassman or AD200B, apart from supplied backline SVTs.

I had a 7pro. Liked it too.

But the VINTAGE channel on the Super Bassman and the AD200B are something special. I've only found it in a few all tube amps.
    If I DID find it in a class D or lighter weight amp, I'd be a happy fella.

8. SC Bassboy

SC Bassboy Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    It's a 810 cabinet. None of them are light or super easy to move around. You play through a 810 because you wanted to bring the big gun to the fight, not because it's convenient. Currently there is this romantic idea of carrying around a small 1x12 cab in your back pocket but the vast majority of us use a vehicle or a trailer to move our equipment to gigs. I don't compromise tone and volume for convenience.

baxter_x and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  9. Phil508

Phil508

Feb 19, 2012
    Central MASS
    And it already has, lol a few times.

10. Treblefree

Treblefree

Apr 8, 2016
    Upstate, SC
    I would love a V4B or SVT CL or VR, but in any case, the only thing I've personally played through that sounds better than my SVT-7 PRO with gain about 75% through my 810E is when I play through my tech 21 dUg pedal through my SVT-7 PRO through my 810E. That makes my face melt into a stank perma-grin like no other. My band mates want to stand in front of my rig to take it in; it's that glorious.

If you ever get to see King's X, do it and get there early to rush the stage and stand right in front of dUg's rig. It's the best thing ever. I can't believe I could buy that tone, but I did.

Corigan and baxter_x like this.
  11. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    The Fender Bassman NEO 810 is actually convenient to move around and very light! And sounds as good as any great 810, without any compromise.
    The Megoliath is probably the biggest 810 you can find. But a great ab indeed.

rodl2005 likes this.
  12. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    View attachment 4437962
    OK ...my oversight, but I was hoping the OP would articulate a little deeper in describing his tonal goals, as most recordings have been engineered to some point, that at times, don't resemble the recorded tone, but that's another subject, another time, I have seen AreoSmith & the Foo Fighters, and they both used SVT & 810's, the others bands, haven't seen them live, I might add, they also had sizable pedal boards, any ways, if you want a SVT tone ...Get a SVT .... Here's what I use
    PXL_20210927_003127752.PORTRAIT.jpg
    I might add, get a headcase with wheels & a pull out handle, it makes dealing with the weight of moving the head around much more palatable

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 10:24 AM
    hbabels and jwindham like this.
  13. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    I was saying THE STATEMENT was a horrible analogy, not the person who made it was horrible. Stating it was a horrible analogy is hardly "arrogant", it's an accurate statement.

A tractor and a car have wheels and engines but that's about all they share in common.

As far as the original tractor comment goes; seems like that comment was meant to cast shade and disparagement on people who use or like SVT's.

That's kind of a crappy thing to say don't ya think?

Actually the SVT was a fairly complex design for the era, four separate chambers, high impedance drivers, etc.compared to just sticking a pair of 8 ohm 15" speakers in a box as was the style of the era the SVT came out.

So yeah it never was a "tractor", just a design from long ago that still works for a lot of people. If it's not your mojo that is fine, just don't dump on the people who like them.

Analogeezer

jastacey likes this.
  14. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Yes the Fender Bassman Neo 810, is a little lighter than the Ampeg 810, it also has recessed handles in the bottom, so when you tilt it into your truck/van/SUV, you have a firm hold onto the cabinet, also the Fender Bassman Neo 810 Cabinet, is a ported design, and with the right EQ, you can make it sound similar to the Ampeg 810

baxter_x likes this.
  15. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I don't know if it can sound like the Ampeg, but it's wayyyyy lighter! Not just a little bit.

16. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yep. I occasionally get sucked into using car analogies but it rarely seems to work out well for whatever reasons. ;)

Wasnex likes this.
  17. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Ampeg could make an 800-Watt all tube head. That would be great. It might weigh less than 400 lbs. Maybe.

Johnny Fingers and baxter_x like this.
  18. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    For the record I own two SVTs and I think the tractor analogy fits pretty well. What can I say, I like both tractors and SVTs ;); so I don't perceive the analogy as negative in any way. So no, I do not agree that it was a "horrible analogy."

Also, FYI @Old Fart owns an MTI SVT and a 810E Classic, so apparently you have totally misread his intent.

Here is a photo of his rig:
    20200914_173045-jpg.jpg
    Ref: Look What Followed Me Home | TalkBass.com

19. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Ha! The Tony Franklin Fretless is now back in the rotation again. I sure am a rusty bass player but that sure is a good bass.

Analogeezer and I had some private chatting and we're good. He did not mean to criticize another TB member and he is entitled to his perspective. It's all good.

Wasnex likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021