Buy Jaco's amp! Only $15,000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kmacleish, Jan 7, 2004.

1. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
  2. I can't breathe...Too funny..
  3. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    <sarcasm on>

I'm sure people will be lining up to give 15 grand to this e-bayer who was no feedback.

<sarcasm off>
  4. Wow! Only two things keeping me from playing and sounding like Jaco....! 15 grand and this amplifier. If I only had a pair of his shoes I could walk like him too.
  5. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    Yet more proof that even a bronzed cat turd can sell on ebay.

Perhaps someone has some Christmas bills that need paying off.
  6. I wouldn't want Jaco's shoes, nor would I want to walk like him. Have you heard the CD "Portrait of Jaco?" In it, Joe Zawinul says that when Jaco first arrived at Weather Report's studio, he leaned so far forward when he walked that they though he would fall down.
  7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Someone needs to tell Brad Johnson about this auction! :D I'm positive that he would be all over that auction! ;)
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This same amp was up on Ebay a few months ago, same price. It is amazing that nobody bought it that time.:rolleyes:
  9. Well, at least he appears to have some good documentation. I guess you could call whoever (?) and figure out if it's legit.

But $15,000? ***. I'll bet the guy that bought it had no idea, then accidentally found out that it was Jaco's old head. So now that $150 is worth $15,000? Does someone have a drug habit they need to keep funded properly???
  10. ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    I think you could buy 20 TFs for the same $$$.
  11. Perhaps Jaco, himself. Maybe he is up to his old tricks again.

12. was i the only one that noticed a lot of mis-spellings in that letter?? where it says shipped in May it looks like it says "Xay"...also the last paragraph it says "even tho" and it says "he alvays" and "Lixed" wow...really too many to list hartke, New Jersey, same, and buisness are all spelled wrong...i'm not sure but it might be my resolution...supersize the pick of the letter.....i small something fishy...
  13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    That guy's a moron. First I would buy a bunch of cheap stuff to get my feedback rating up. Nobody in their right mind would pay 15K for an amp. I don't care if Jesus Christ played it. I would set the price at $2000 with no reserve.
  14. I'm sure you would. I'd be thrilled to let a potential goldmine just float away.

I have a '65 Jazz Bass, I have an Ebay account, but I have never used it. From what you're saying is that if I wanted to sell it, I should post a price of $1 and no reserve.

If you are interested, but think it might be a fake, find out if that dude was actually in charge of AMP, if he or the other dude is alive, get a hold of them this is something that would stick in their minds. Do the detective work instead of bashing the guy. This is a little easier to authenticate whether this is a real 1959 LP, or even a Hendrix guitar. You're talking about a relatively small company, a HUGE personality in Jaco, and it's only been 15 years.
  15.'s a scan of a typewritten letter...
  16. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer

Yeah... I SMALL something fishy too...
  17. Elliott

Mar 20, 2000
    I am afraid to look at the E-bay listing for very long, just so I do not accidentally hit the "Buy It Now" button. It would be a little hard to explain to the kids that they can't go to college because dad bought another bass amp. :p
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Yeah, I saw it before:D

My take on it is a bit different from most of what I've seen in this and the other thread that came up. AFAIK Roger was indeed VP of AMP. Russ Alee was the designer. That does look like AMP letterhead. That doesn't mean the claim can't be bogus but at least someone is working from a knowledgeable POV. As was already suggested, any interested party should do some legwork. The value will be determined by the market.

Bottom line, this is about what this is worth... not what any of you can afford. Two different things. If it's not worth $15K to you, cool... is there really any need to jump to conclusions about the veracity of the seller? Other than the usual reasons I guess;)

I own two of these amps and they're great. That has nothing to do with this one. This one, if purchased, is a collector's item. Typically the "Why would I buy it, I'd be too afraid to play it?" posts pop up at some point:rolleyes:. This amp doesn't even have to work to be worth money.

Here's a bit of hard news... most people here, including me, don't have $15K to spend on a collectable amp. As far as no one in their right mind not buying a $15K amp, guess again. While you may think it's insane, if they have the money AND the desire to own it, what's crazy about it. Is it any crazier than buying a 2000W amp to play in a bar? A $1500 bass to play at home?

There's a lot of the usual instant condemnation and old fashion hatin' going on here, which is usually the case when something questionable AND relatively high dollar pops up. Nobody willing to part with $15K is going to part with that money without more proof. As far as the amount of feedback, that may be a red flag but it doesn't automatically mean scam. There's been a lot of sage posts here, I like this one:

"That guy's a moron. First I would buy a bunch of cheap stuff to get my feedback rating up. Nobody in their right mind would pay 15K for an amp. I don't care if Jesus Christ played it. I would set the price at $2000 with no reserve".

Exactly how bright would someone be who's this dependent on feedback if they'd base a $2000 purchase from a SELLER on feedback for a BUYER of a few cheap things? It makes no sense. Anyone who initially uses eBay starts with zero feedback... doesn't automatically mean crook.

Whatever this guy gets chances are he'll only do it once. Maybe he should price it more reasonably for the people who can't or won't buy it regardless of price?

So yeah, them's folks is crazy. Move along, nothing to see here.
  19. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Actually, what I was trying to get across is that even if the guy had all the authentication in the world and a picture of Jaco handing him the amp nobody would pay $15K for just an amp. No matter who played it. Butthole.

This guys been listing that amp forever. Used to be $20K. If there were any Jaco fans out there willing to spend the dough then they would almost certainly be willing to do the detective work you mention also. Guess there aren't any though.