Buying a fairly expensive bass from Amazon.com

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by garciawork, Jan 10, 2017.

1. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    Hey guys, mildly considering an Am Standard P from Amazon (sold BY Amazon, not just on the website). Does anyone have experience doing so? I know everyone says to try before you buy, but I can't as a lefty, and not knowing how Amazon procures these (ask Fender for B stock for a deal...? who knows), I don't want to waste my time and end up with a "meh" instrument. Thoughts?

2. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    I bought a few flying broomsticks from amazon. Excellent quality.

TheMinutemen, japhy4529 and soktau like this.
  3. Gaolee

Gaolee It's all about the polyester

Just like buying anything online or mail order. You get the instrument they send you whether it's meh or not. But, you will get exactly what you ordered, most likely.

4. You also might want to check the shipping charges for the return.

I had to return a memory chip I mistakenly ordered and the return label I had to use cost eight dollars for an item weighing a fraction of an ounce.

Sav'nBass likes this.
  5. MMatFoCBass

MMatFoCBass

Feb 21, 2012
    If the buyer has a good rating; they're pretty good about returns if it doesn't fit your expectations.

Might need to word it carefully about the return but I've found that most Amazon Stores are good about returns.

6. Be aware that Sold by Amazon means they're simply shipping from a warehouse. You are not buying from a music store or musicians. Your instrument may require a setup when you receive it.

That said, my wife bought me a guitar from Amazon for Christmas and it arrived in great condition, except for FedEx simply leaving it on my doorstep without even knocking or ringing the doorbell. We were all home for the whole day. The only reason I knew it arrived was me frequently checking the tracking number and the result suddenly said "Left at Front Door."

7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If I know an instrument is coming, I will put a big, glaringly obvious note on the door asking the <insert shipping company name> person to "Please knock loudly. We are home." ;)

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That must be where my ex wife got hers from!

9. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass What the .............. Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    This... let the return policy be your guide if you are concerned..

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  10. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    How good is the price? Is it worth the lack of peace of mind?

11. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    Lots of replies quickly, thanks! It is sold by Amazon specifically, not a seller on Amazon, and I definitely anticipate a set up being necessary. The price is $1199, for Mystic blue, which was pretty rare, and is... a fairly good deal. I know righties have told tales of Am Std J's and P's for close to a grand, but for lefties, the best I have seen is a black one for $1126 also on Amazon, and I would gladly pay more for a color I actually like.

Since it is specifically Amazon.com's return policy, its 30 days, and I assume shipping would be deducted from the return, however shipping should also be considerably less since it would be under Amazon's freight account.

Not sure, they have had 3 available for a few weeks, I am hoping they drop the price, and if so I may pounce. I'd love the new professional, however this is already $250 off that price, and it could get better if I get lucky.

12. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Have you checked Guitar Center's Used Section? They have a hassle free return policy and you can return it to ANY Guitar Center if it does not work out. If you are dead set on a new instrument, it could work out great for you.

13. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    Of course. Nothing lefty that I would personally want.

14. Road Hat

Road Hat Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Old Hangtown, USA
    I purchased a 2011 Am Std P bass from Amazon (sold/fulfilled by them). It was the last Blizzard Pearl color I could find. Worked perfectly out of the box, didn't even require a setup. Bravo!

steamthief likes this.
  15. bassstrangler

bassstrangler Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    That bass in that color is going to be a 2013. Bought one earlier in the year from MF brand new and it was three years old. $999 from MF, a deal they had been running for awhile to clear out a bunch of old stock.

16. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    Good to know. Hopefully they drop the price, but if I go that route (it would match my Am Std Tele!) is there any difference between the 13's and the most recent? I thought they were basically unchanged since 2012.

17. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I've bought instruments from Amazon before and it was fine. I'd say its no different than buying from any other online retailer, though their return process is pretty hassle-free. You fill out a form with why you're returning it and you either have to pay the return shipping or not depending on the reason. If its defective or damaged you can also usually choose a refund or a replacement.

Oh and there's a site called camelcamelcamel.com that shows the price history of any item on Amazon. I always check there since Amazon's prices tend to fluctuate a lot.

wintremute likes this.
  18. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    Literally just found that site. On Amazon at least, it hasn't gone lower, however some third party sellers were a little cheaper, but all out of stock. Good to know it went well, may go this route unless something used pops up soon, or the new pro's go on sale (not holding out hope for that...). Thanks for the feedback!

19. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Just don't let a drone deliver it!

But yeah, shouldn't be any different than any other purchase when the instrument gets shipped.

20. wintremute

wintremute Mediocrity at its finest! Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Amazon has a great return policy for "sold by Amazon". I wouldn't worry about it.

ShadowImage, gln1955 and Spidey2112 like this.