1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buying a new bass within the week....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tugboat, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2003
    NY, County of Orange
    I know this is one of countless threads looking for an opinion on bass sound/quality...sorry ahead of time.

I'm a drummer by trade, but love to dabble in the bass as a hobby. A few years ago I needed $$$ so I sold my two basses, a Spector Legend and a Fender American Jazz. I'm really jonesing and plan on start playing again as soon as I get a bass. I know I don't need a $2000 bass, or even a $1000 bass, but I am a bit of a snob so I want something halfway decent. Most likely I'll be playing on my own or with my church band, which is actually a pretty decent gig occassionally. I've narrowed my choices down to two basses....either one of the new Epiphone Classic Thunderbirds at $500, or the Jackson Dave Ellefson CBX at $400. I know they are both good basses and to be honest my playing level is above novice but not intermediate. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on either of these basses? Any Thunderbird owners, or Jackson owners care to chime in?

Also, curiousity here...a friend of mine suggested getting a five string, but I've never played one, does anyone think it's worth it for someone in my position to bother, meaning at my playing level? THANKS GUYS!!!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Those are quite different basses, but I can't stand Thunderbirds so if limited to those I'd go Jackson.

But, I'd get a Brubaker Brute or Lakland 4401/5501 over either of them if it were me.

And again..for ME..I would get a 5 string. They feel more natural to me, and the extra range is nice to have.

3. bassplar

bassplar

Jun 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I have neither, but as far as getting a bass goes, I would say sit down with both if you can, preferably at a place that can have them setup half way decent, and see what speaks to you.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2003
    NY, County of Orange
    Those are great basses you mentioned, but I have no intention of spending over $500, and would like to keep it as low as possible and get the best bang for my buck.

5. I personally like the Jackson better. A 5 string is what I like to play and I know my church friends play 5 or 6 usually. I'd sit down with both basses and see what you like. Good LucK![​IMG]

6. RalphieBoy

RalphieBoy

Jul 25, 2012
    Fort Smith, AR
    I would also agree with what mmbongo says about the Lakland 4401/5501.

You might want to look into a Schecter Diamond P-Custom Bass. I have the 5-string version that cost $549.00 (4 sting $499.00) After setting up the bass (which it needed). I really like the overall sounds you can get out of it. It's nice because it has a p pickup and a humbucker/single coil pickup. The tones you can get out of it are really great. Only downside is the humbucker vs. the p pickups and the single coil pickup is much louder, so no easy transfer between the single coil and humbucker.

As good as this bass is I think it could still be improved with not to much into it with just a different pickup system that, overall, isn't really needed.

7. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    The Thunderbird is an amazing bass. I love them but I would not recommend one if you go about the 15th fret often, other than that you can get a lot of tones out of it and also just look at how sexy they are!

8. RalphieBoy

RalphieBoy

Jul 25, 2012
    Fort Smith, AR
    tbird99 is right the Epiphone Thunderbird IV is a great bass, once your set it up of course. When I got mine the action was a mile high, but I've come to expect that (though sometimes your surprised) from foreign made instruments under the $1000.00 range.

I don't know about the Epiphone Pro Thunderbirds though. They look great and probably the onboard eq is good, but never played one.

Only thing I encountered when I bought my Thunderbird IV was that the bass itself is a great price at about $299.99, but your going to want to get a hardshell case for it (at least I did because of the different body case I had to go with Epiphone hardshell), which was around $100.00. So, at a little over $399.99 you can't go wrong with this one either.