1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a used 700RB-II here's what I know

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mike biz, Mar 4, 2008.

1. I have a line on a used (2 owner) G-K 700RB-II. I know this is the model I want, but I've never bought a used head. I asked the seller a bunch of questions (which he thouroughly answered). There is no original paperwork (I now manuals are online).

The original owner gigged with it but it was always racked and he didn't have it long. The current owner has used it for practice and about 5 gigs in the last year. Never been spilled on, always in rack. Some rack rash but I'm not that concerned with that for a used head. He says it plays beautifully. I'm getting some photos sent to me so bar any major issues I think I'm in. Is there anything else I should ask or be concerned with? Thanks guys.

Oh yeah and it's a good price IMO. $400. Do you agree?

Gonna be playing it through an Avatar NEO B212 8ohm cab.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    They are around 525 shipped new with a full warranty from www.rmcaudio.com

If you feel 125 bucks is worth giving up a warranty it's a good deal for that amp. They sound great.

3. I considered going new from RMC, but that extra $125 is a deal breaker for me right now. I think I'll take my chances. Pray for me.:p

I'm still open to more thoughts.

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I actually prefer the 700RBII over the 1001RBII. I ran it through an Avatar 410 NEO.

Great combination.

5. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    +1 on that. I had the 1001 for about a week, and then took it back. Getting the 700 to warm up and growl is much easier than it is with the 1001. I had to get it to insane volumes to get the sound I wanted. Head room is nice, but not at the expense of the sound that gets booties shakin'.

Ljazz

6. Keep those opinions coming. I've got nothing to do tonight and I want to feel ready to make the decision when the time comes.:hyper:

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'm a G-K-aholic, so I may be biased.

I have a 700RB-II and it's been my workhorse head for a few years now. It's my "smaller gig" head, but don't read anything into that. My other rigs are pre-amps (one of which is a G-K 2001RBP) into power amps.

The 700RB-II perfectly exemplifies what I love about G-K. The tone is crystal clear, super "fast" and just plain perfect for me.

8. So I decided to go with a new 700RB-II from RMC. After reading the comments from you guys I just wasn't willing to take a chance on head with no warranty. The extra $$ will help save my sanity.

I ordered the head and the road case from RMC about 20 minutes ago and it's already in the mail. That's beyond quick service and the price was VERY good. You won't find it cheaper anywhere.

So with any luck my head and new cab will show up by early next week and I'll be ready to go.

9. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Mike, I think that was a very smart decision to go new over used. You never know if anything will go wrong and as you said, you have the warranty card there to give you peace of mind.

10. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Nice work!

I might reconsider the head I am looking at...(1001RB-II)

11. I've heard great things about both, but I just don't need the extra wattage. I think you'd be happy with either one. There is A LOT of info about each on this forum. Good luck.