1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buying Dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Progfan44, Aug 4, 2012.

1. I've recently had uncertainties about the purchase of my next bass and am seeking advice.

I've been playing for nearly a year now and am currently playing a pre-used Ibanez Sr506 i got for 400 bucks. While it is a solid bass, it's used nature has sparked up some problems. My high C keeps going down until it touches the pickup making it virtually unplayable, I can't play certain higher notes as it results in a very annoying clinking sound, and tapping sounds very uneven on higher frets, producing a similar clink (I once thought this was a result of my technique, but after playing a brand new model of the same instrument i was assured it isn't me). While I am certain my next purchase will be a better amp, I am currently entertaining the thought of purchasing my "dream bass" afterwards, a Music Man Bongo 6. I played a 5 string model in a guitar shop and fell in love with it, it has everything I could want out of a bass at this point and time. Would it be worthwhile getting it so early on? My hope is that it'll put an end to the "i wish i had" attitude i am plagued with and will help me focus on my playing, and give me a bass I can be comfortable playing for a long time to come, but I am also aware that the bass is far beyond me even if I do practice as much as I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Are you certain the problem isn't the height of the pickups? I see no problem buying the bass you want, but it sounds like maybe the bass you have now just needs a setup.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  3. The string went down over time, I know that for certain. I sent it in for a setup after the string went down the first time and it's been slowly going down ever since

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I would start reading all the threads on setup if I were you.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. Even so, a 400 dollar Ibanez is nothing when held against a 2000 dollar music man. As mundane and simple as an action adjustment may be, the fact that I can get a better tone, more playability as well as more string consistency out of a better instrument, i think I'll go for the better instrument, regardless of cost.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    It sounds like this is a case of the set screws in the bridge vibrating loose over time. Easy fix with clear finger nail polish or loctite. Do a search and you will find many threads concerning this.

7. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

Jun 7, 2011
    Jersey, CI
    I had the same problem with my Fender Jazz, the G saddle kept dropping. Fixed it with nail polish, but eventually changed the bridge anyways

8. I reset my action and applied the nail polish, how often will i need to keep putting it on before it wears out?

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    It shouldn't move until you use a tool to break the locked threads.

10. This is it

11. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    If you Want a Music Man and can Afford it, I say More Power to ya, Brother! If you feel it would be Wise for you to invest that kind of $$$ into a Bass, because you LOVE playing and want to Learn to the Best of your ability, I say Music Man it is. :) And, Yes, I am Jealous. :)

12. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    This.