buzz on 'c' note !

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by triggerno9, Oct 4, 2005.

1. triggerno9

Sep 23, 2005
    any help with a problem i've got when i play a 'c' note on my A string there is a slight buzz/rattle, only in that one spot though . i've checked all the usual things machines, bridge height etc. any ideas anyone ???
  2. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
    I would guess you've got a high spot on the FB
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I have a few friends, that I won't mention by name, that get buzzed on a c-note alla the time.

Sorry -- couldn't pass up on a straight line like that...
  4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    AHA! That explains how you move in and out of Thumb position so fast! :D
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Nay -- I'm just to lazy to stand up straight and not lean on the bass.
  6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    hahha......yes, I've been working on that lately (after you showed me backstage)- it also helps a lot with not harming your back
  7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If you want that bow rehaired in town I have a recommendation for you. I'm also a fan of Shank's rehairs and have a mailing tube of theirs that I could get to you.
  8. triggerno9

Sep 23, 2005
    so how do i sort out the high spot on my fingerboard (cheaply !!!!)
  9. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    You'll have to take it to a luthier who knows what he's doing who'll fix it. You can try to do it yourself, but this is one of the trickier things to do, and you more than likely will end up with a buzzing C#. D and D# by the time you're finished. And it'll be even more of a pain for the luthier to fix then...

10. wd4dkv

Nov 9, 2005
    Hey, Please be careful about who you take it to. I had the unfortunate experience of a luthier misdiagnosing this same rattle, and messing up my fingerboard. Problem on my bass was fingerboard was coming loose and the end of it was rattling against the neck only on certain resonant frequencies. Happened to be the C was what made it rattle. Try this: play around the C on the E string and see if you get the same rattle.
    Hope this helps.
  11. I had the same problem on my E string at the G and the problem was in the FB. I had a local repair man (groth music) plane the FB and, after a few times, it took most of the buzz out but never fully got rid of it. I raised my bridge a little and got used to the string height but the thing that made the biggest difference was time. My bass was brand new andit took a few months to work itself into shape.
  12. JDM

Oct 12, 2005
    I can see a little high spot just in front (sharp) of where I fret for the A on the D string. I'm tempted to go at it gingerly with a small nail file, the emery sand paper type that I and most women us on their nails. Anyone done this themselves?