1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzzing noise coming from my DB112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pkatzman, Aug 29, 2008.

1. pkatzman

pkatzman

Sep 28, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    So, I noticed an odd buzzing noise coming from the top-left corner of my cab today. I'd heard a similar problem before, and took it back to the store I bought it at (Atlanta Bass Gallery.) They checked it out, and told me they could find nothing wrong - and after plugging it in at the store, I couldn't either!

So I took off the front grille today, in an attempt to poke around and see if I could notice anything obviously wrong. I can't see anything that looks "blown" (not that I'm sure I'd be able to tell anyway) nor do I see wires or anything up against the tweeter itself that looks like they might be causing that noise.

Is it worth taking the cab (more) apart to look at the tweeter from behind? How else could I tell if it's blown? I've emailed Aguilar, but have't heard anything back yet.

Thanks for the help, all.

2. It's probably the cover up front. If it's loose it can rattle, which is a problem with the grill cloth covers sometimes.

Dan

3. Yeah. Take the grill off and see if you can get it to buzz. If not then your problem's there somewhere.

4. pkatzman

pkatzman

Sep 28, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Nope, still buzzes with the cover off. I evehn went as far as to unscrew the tweeter from the cab itself and hold it up to my ear. It's definitely coming from the tweeter itself, even when isolated from everything else...

If this is something that would not be covered under warranty, I could order a replacement from Aguilar for $79. Is this a decent price? For wat it's worth, it's an X-tealth HS-410.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    might be something sympathetically buzzing in the room... you'd be surprised.

6. pkatzman

pkatzman

Sep 28, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I really doubt it....I literally held the tweeter up to my ear as someone else played and it was definitely the source of the sound...

7. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    If it was fine at the store and only does it with your setup, it's probably your amp, like something loose on the circuit board.

8. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I assume you've tried turning off the tweeter and listening for the noise, right?

Honestly, if you can hear it over a band then you should get it fixed. Otherwise just leave it, we tend to notice the most things when we're sitting by ourselves playing, but just get down and groove and you'll probably forget about it.

Try emailing Aguilar again, I'm surprised to hear that you haven't gotten a response yet - their responses are normally super fast.

9. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I had this happen with a GB212T, kept hearing the tweeter distort badly when I setup at a gig. After checking bass battery, inst cable, turned out my homemade speakon cable went bad. The wire had slipped out from the screw holding it, this had happened before, bad contact made the distort noise come thru the tweeter. Replaced speakon cable, my problem was solved.

10. pkatzman

pkatzman

Sep 28, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    That's what I'm beginning to think... :\

Yup. Noise is gone when the tweeter's off. Without testing it in that scenario, I can't be sure, but it's loud enough that I'd bet I could hear it.

Got a response from Aguilar, and actually had a short string of correspondence with Marco. But I haven't heard back after answering his last question, though he said that I caught him when he was in the office for a clinic and not to honestly expect much of an answer until Tuesday.

Switched from the speakon cable to 1/4" and the noise is still there. I'll try next to test it with a different amp to see if that makes a difference.

11. pkatzman

pkatzman

Sep 28, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    So, I got the new tweeter diaphragm from Aguilar a few days ago, and installed it yesterday. Much to my frustration, after installing it, I noticed to difference in the sound. *sigh*

I then hooked the cab up to the ext. speaker output of my friend's guitar amp and voila - no buzzing. So, am I correct in thinking that this pretty much narrows the problem down to my amp?

I've already been in touch with Genz Benz, and have an RA #, but I don't want to spend the money to ship the amp all the way to Arizona and have the problem still remain... Any suggestions as to how else I can test this theory of mine? Thanks guys.

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    Have you tried the bass amp through another cabinet? I'd bring the NeoPak to the Bass Gallery and also use a different bass and different cables. It doesn't sound like the amp to me. About 1/3 of the amps we get back have nothing wrong with them. We find it is a bad cable, bad bass preamp, bad power source....etc.