1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzzing with TI flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Muckaluck, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Hi everyone,
    I've had a set of 36" tomastik Infeld flatwound strings on my lakland p5 for about one month now. As the strings continue to break in, I'm still noticing much buzzing on the strings. This happens particularly on the E string at the A. If I have to raise the E string any higher, it will be so far from the pickup in relation to the B and A string that it will be significantly quieter. Is this typical with these strings and will the E string settle down with age and buzz less? I'm getting a bit sick of feeling like I'm walking on egg shells every time I play.

2. Sounds like a fret issue to me not a string issue. Have you checked that out?

3. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Bass is a 3 year old lakland that had been plekked. Is it still possible that it could be a fret problem?

4. Well fret buzz is usually caused by either a high fret or not enough relief in the neck. It might be that the strings don't pull enough tension and you need to loosen the truss a wee bit to give some relief. That should allow you to lower your action too.

5. Found that when I switched to TIs on my jazz a new set up was in order. They're unique enough in their tension to justify it. Made a world of difference!

6. This. Is it only buzzing down the nut end of the neck?

7. Yes, it sounds like you have less tension on your neck than you used to. Your neck relief is probably the issue. It's probably too flat.

The Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats have lower tension compared to most other strings. The only string with less tension, that I know about, are the T-I Jazz Round Wounds.

8. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I used TI Jazz Flats for quite awhile. They are very low tension and will require you to adjust your truss rod. They play like butter though.

9. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Ok. I'll try a truss rod adjustment and then get back to everyone. I have been messing with the setup on this bass for about one month now though.

10. Another potential issue is the nut--the slots might be cut too low on the E and A strings or they may be slotted too wide for those strings e.g., if you had larger gauge strings on before. That too could be the cause.

11. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Yeah, I had the Jamerson Labella's on there before that were way thicker. What is the remedy if the nut is affected?

12. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Sounds like something is resonating on your instrument.

13. Short of going back to bigger strings (or having a new nut installed) you could try using some resin or even paper in the slot, sometimes that works.

14. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Time for a new nut. Had to do that on my American Special, best done by a pro on current Fenders due to the excessive amount of glue they are using. Temporary workaround is to put little bits of rubber band alongside the string in the nut. That should stop it from flopping around in there. JMHO, YMMV of course.

Edit: One thing that has been mentioned by others in various threads about this issue is to try increasing the break angle over the nut by winding the string way down the peg.

15. Are you sure you don't have a loose truss rod that's buzzing?

16. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Ok, messed with it a bit last night. The lakland has a bar over the strings before they hit the nut so I lowered that a bit and it made a huge difference in the tension of all the strings. I was able to lower the E string a bit so that it is closer to the pickup and the whole bass is playing much better. There is still a bit of buzz when I really dig in to the E but nowhere near as much as before.

I think you were right about the nut problem. I will see how much mileage I get with this fix and then perhaps explore getting a new nut in the future.

17. If you have been messing with the setup for a month then you are messing not setting up. A setup will take about an hour.

It pays to follow the proper sequence so you are not having to go back and repeat adjustments.

1. change strings
    2. tune the bass up
    3. check the relief on the neck and adjust (righty tighty, lefty loosey)
    4. adjust saddle heights
    5. check and adjust intonation
    6. set pickup height

Here is Carl Pedigo's video....suggest following it closely.

Part 1: