1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzzing!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CameronF, Oct 26, 2009.

1. CameronF

CameronF

Oct 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ive had this problem for a while now... I have a DBX 166xl Compressor sitting on top of a GK Backline 600 with a GLX 4x10 Cab. Im playing a Fender MIM Deluxe Jazz 4 string through a tuner and a chorus pedal.
    4479076c.
    For some reason i get buzzing like crazy. Its not to bad but just enough to annoy the tar out of me. When i play i have to hold my hand on my strings and it goes away till i start playing. It goes away if i touch anything metal on my guitar or if i touch my compressor. Any ideas????

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Is the jazz bass shielded with adhesive copper tape? Are the jazz pickups plain old straight single coils?

3. CameronF

CameronF

Oct 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I dont know about the copper tape? How would i find that out? And the pickups are Noiseless pickups that come with the deluxe jazz bass... there active.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's a grounding issue, but I don't know from where. Shielding in the pup cavity is obvious, open it up and look inside. Otherwise, maybe a loose connection,....somewhere.

5. CameronF

CameronF

Oct 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is it strange that it would stop buzzing if i touched my compressor? would that indicate that the compressor isnt grounded???? or is it defiantly in my bass?

6. CameronF

CameronF

Oct 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    and also... sorry im a newb with terminology... what is the pup cavity?

7. Plug the Bass directly into your amp first - if it still buzzes then the Bass is the problem. If not, then add each piece to the chain one at a time until the buzz returns.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    pup cavity=pickup cavity

9. Try lifting the Dbx unit off your amplifier. I could be picking up hum from the amps power transformer.

Paul

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's normal. If it did not go away when you touch the strings or bridge then you'd have a problem. With a JBass it will be minimized if you run both pickups at the same volume, which puts them into humbucking mode.

11. CameronF

CameronF

Oct 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes i do. The deluxe doesn't have separate volume nobs. Just one nob that has a tick in the middle that it sticks and and you can go one way for one pickup and the other way for another...

I will try all these things and get back to yall.

12. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    I noticed the same buzzing when i put a furman on my amp, did you have the buzzing before you added the compressor?

13. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    A compressor, or any pedal for that matter, could elevate the noise floor of the system and make normal background noise even more obvious. And you should not use any 'power conditioners' on an amp, though a 20 ampere rated power strip is OK.

14. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    man.....hums can drive me crazy...trying to rectify.

One thing though. ..please excuse the caps: YOU MUST plug straight into the amp, without any effects. Also, make sure nothing else is plugged into the same AC circuit. What is that blue light behind your rig??

Your pedals- I notice they're running on AC power. This can invite ground loop hum.

Also, pay attention to what Bill M. posted above.

In the end- get EVERYTHING else out of the signal chain and see if it still hums.

Also, you didn't tell us if this bass hummed before. I'll still bet a Chinese lunch that it is a grounding issue on the bass. ...based on the fact that when you touch it, it stops.

15. SAGAWA

SAGAWA

Apr 14, 2009
    Scotland
    Hi folks,

New kid on the block here looking for a spot of advice. I have hefty humming issue with a bass I recently had made for me. Just a P bass style with a SD quarter pounder but the hum is unbearable. I either go straight to amp (via my Boss tuning pedal) or occasionally thru a ODB-3, but this bass is really p***ing me off. Should I shield the back of the pickguard with copper or solder a grounding wire somewhere? Sorry to hijack your thread, CameronF. :)

16. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Shielding isn't a bad idea, but it's not going to fix something that's just plain AFU. PBass pickups when properly wired are humbucking, so if it hums the wiring may be wrong. And all passive pickups rely on your body as a capacitive noise shunt, which occurs when you touch the bridge or strings. If the noise level doesn't drop drastically when you do so probably the controls ground is not connected via a wire to the bridge as it should be.

17. SAGAWA

SAGAWA

Apr 14, 2009
    Scotland
    Hey Bill,
    Thanks for the advice. I'll investigate the issue a bit further. There seems to be a click/pop sound when I do touch the strings/bridge/tuners. If I have to solder a grounding wire to the bridge, where does the other end connect to?
    :)

18. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The ground lug on the jack.

19. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    or the back of a pot.

20. SAGAWA

SAGAWA

Apr 14, 2009
    Scotland
    Thanks, guys. I'll let you know how I get on ...