1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

buzzing

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by skittles767, May 18, 2011.

1. skittles767

skittles767

Nov 15, 2010
    I just won some new strings from the unc jazz festivil. They are d'addario helicore medium tension stranded steel core nickel wound strings. My problem is when I put on my A string I found an insane buzzing from the top bridge... I figure it is because the string is too close to the neck... My bass is a vintage Abraham Prescott so I would much rather not replace the upper bridge. Any help???

2. skittles767

skittles767

Nov 15, 2010
    ???

3. Take it to a luthier. Your fingerboard may need a redressing, or your nut is wrong, or... There are a host of things it could be.

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    or a bad string, if you had no buzzing previously.

You went from a laminate to a Prescott...? Nice. Pics?

"top bridge" = nut.

5. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
  6. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    I'm really confused... You are 17 and you're playing a Prescott? That is awesome and I'm not doubting you, but what do you mean by "upper bridge"? If you are referring to the nut I believe it is a relatively easy fix by a luthier, if you own a Prescott a couple hindred bucks shouldn't be that big of a deal. Probobly just needs a fingerboard dressing or worst case a new bridge. You didn't notice the problem before you put the strings on? That is sort of strange... I'm just confuse here. Not that it is relavent but any pics of the Prescott? I'm a student and I'm still stuck playing on a shen haha, very lucky.

7. bigolbassguy

bigolbassguy

Feb 13, 2010
    Billings, MT
    +++1 - pics please!

8. skittles767

skittles767

Nov 15, 2010
    Thanks guys! And yeah I hope it's a Prescott... I plan on getting it apraised here real soon.... The only thing that gives me doubts on it are that the tuning pegs army the Prescott round ones... They are clover... But quite possible tht they were restored... I'll put some pics up and if it's not a Prescott I hope someone could help me identify it. Thank again everyone

9. check if the fingerboard is coming away from the neck i had the same problem my luthier pointed out this too me and also the fingerboard had shifted slightly towards the e side, so it was reglued and hey presto no more anoying buzz. Mine was on the g string and thats the side where it was coming away.

10. frank0stein2000

frank0stein2000

Apr 8, 2011
    Texas
    I agree with bassplayer48. Check out the fretboard. Mine was separating from the neck and caused all sorts of problems. But it was a new instrument after it was fixed.