1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

c a franz

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by flint, Mar 27, 2006.

1. flint

flint

Aug 24, 2004
    GA
    howdy folks

I'm thinking about going to look at a bass that the owner describes as "VERY OLD" and bearing a descriptive sticker inside saying it was "completely restored 1951 by c a franz zanesville ohio]"

anyone have any knowledge of this luthier and their reputation?

If I had pics of the bass I'd post them, but the owner hasnt ponied up more than one low rez one thus far. And all I can tell from that pic is that it's a gamba shape.

And if any of the experts could give me some pointers of things to look for in a "VERY OLD" bass I'd appreciate it. hopefully you guys can help me avoid a costly mistake.

Thanks-
    Flint

2. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Take it to a luthier that you trust to look it over. You need to verify if the bass is sound, but also if all the repairs are sound. Even if c a franz zanesville did a great job, that was in 1951, so, many people have probably worked on it since then. I had a problem where the original luthier did horrible repair work. The bass itself looked great, but under the top, the bass bar was cut too short and made out of the wrong wood. Just because it has been repaired, doesn't mean that it was repaired right. Also, consider where you're going to be using it. A shady jazz club, a brothel, or a prestigious concert hall? Also, has he avoided showing photos, or just hasn't gotten around to it? I wouldn't buy a bass sight unseen. Definitely go and play it for a while. See if he'll let you take it to your luthier.