1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

C-Clef question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Etienned, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    I am currently learning Bach's prelude.
    At a certain point, it uses the C-Clef, yet I am not sure which C is "defined" by it. On wiki, I read that its usually C4 which is out my bass tessiture (range?) if I'm not mistaken ( 17th fret on G string is C3, right ?).

Help would be appreciated

Here is the switching passage:

Attached Files:

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    C clef 'points' to middle C. It is moveable and the point can be on any line, although that kind of useage is fairly obsolete. Alto Clef (used mostly by the viola) points to the middle line as middle C. Tenor Clef (used by a number of instrument, Bass, Cello, Trombone, Bassoon) points to the fourth line from the bottom. When DB reads in Tenor clef, it still sounds an octave lower than the written pitch.

3. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    Although, I wish I was playing this on my db, I'm very far of being able to do so.

I'm on the electric bass for this piece. I understand that c-clef being movable but I'm not sure which octave I should play on / where I'm supposed to be on the fingerboard.

Middle C is C4 ?

4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    That first B after the C clef is 16th fret G string. You'll need a 24-fretter for this piece.

5. Varcolac

Varcolac

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    Prelude in G?

Depends where you're playing the rest of it. You've got two options: either play it in the same octave as the original cello piece, or do what the bass usually does with written music and play it an octave lower than written.

If you're playing it all in the original octave, you'll be up in the rafters at the end of your fretboard. If you're playing it an octave lower, (starting the piece around the 3rd position on the E string) I've always played that part pedalling of the D on 7th fret of the G string. It's the same D as in the bar before the clef change.

6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I have those suite for Cello ( written for cello not a version for any other instrument ) and the C is the 5th fret G string ( if you play it like you would normaly do on a bass if you want the cello rang it will be 17th fret G string or 12th fret C string )

7. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    Thanks guys, it makes sense.
    I'll work on that part now.

8. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I just checked my version and you are in C major ? a version for DB ? mine is in G major and it didn't use Tenor clef to do that part.

Attached Files:

9. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    Yes, it's in C major.
    I'm aware that the common version is in G major, but this is the transcription that my teacher had when I asked him about this piece.

I won't complain, it's a fun ride.

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The version I studied at the university on double bass was also in C major.

11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

If the transcription is meant to be played on a bass guitar/double bass, the B after the C clef is the one on the G string, 4th fret or D string, 9th fret. The whole piece will sound one octave lower than written, of course. On the other hand, if the transcription shows actual pitches, you should play that B on the G string, 16th fret.

12. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    I think my transcription is for cello. I'll have to lower the octave since I'd do not have the fa# and sol on my jazz bass.

Interestingly, it's making me consider an EADGB) tuning, as low B isn't really usefull to me and I'm curious about chords...

I tried playing bits of the prelude on the DB, too many positions changes for my skills, yet : )