1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

C-G-C-F Tuning?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cubeface, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    Does anyone tune their bass to C-G-C-F? (low to high)

I've never really seen this tunning too often, but I'm wondering this because this is Shavos' tunning from Sytem of a Down, and I want to learn some of their songs.

Thanks

2. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    No offense but if you don't see that tuning that often you definitely don't listen to hardcore or heavy metal right?

Dunyet likes this.
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It's standard tuning dropped down a whole step to DGCF, then put in "drop-d" by tuning the lowest string down another whole step, ending up with CGCF. Not uncommon. It's usually just to match the guitarist's tuning.

4. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    My band's most-used tuning.

5. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I use it too part of the time.

6. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    i've tuned it down to that to play along to some metal. but my band go further and play in b :p

7. Rayle_Trail

Rayle_Trail

Jun 14, 2004
    Brisbane
  8. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    I ahve a bass on that tuning. Honestly a big msitake. I wanted to learn some system songs too but in the long run.....you spend all that time [or pay someone to spend taht time] to mangle your bass and for what? Honestly stay with standard and unless your going to be playing system songs for anyone keep on standard.

of course this is my opinion,
    :D Jimmy

9. Mhassar

Mhassar

Jul 17, 2008
    I have 1 bass in c-g-c-f and another in d-g-c-f. I still get rattle on c-g-c-f even when I've had it all adjusted. It's just one of the tunnings my band uses.

10. i used to play in CGCFA# in my old band
    and once we broke up i had to set up my bass again :/
    i loved the tuning but i had to use for it when i was out of a band

11. My band plays in CGCF. You really need to get heavy strings (I use Ernie Ball Power Slinkies, .055 - .110) and set your bass up properly. The difference in tension is enough to do a number on your neck, so make sure that you're not constantly going back and forth between standard and drop-C tuning.

12. Yeah, if you want to do that, be prepared to keep it like that for a while. It's not as simple as simply down-tuning, you have to work on the bass and probably change the strings.

13. Calvan

Calvan

May 13, 2008
    San Diego
    i play a 5 string in GCGCF. it's the tuning my band uses exclusively. i'm super used to it after the 4+ years of playing that way. playing standard is kind of awkward for me now.

14. Get a 5-String for that Low C

15. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    I was just going to say that!

Seriously though, it can be very bad for your bass to tune it that low, even with proper adjustments. I would honestly suggest investing in a 5-string. Just my thoughts, though.:)

16. How could it possibly be bad for your bass to tune it low if you are adjusting it properly?

17. Yea I have a bass specifically for DGCF or CGCF tunning, as long as u get a setup done there is no harm in it, but if you only have one two basses Its better have a 5 string, of course it is easier to play SOADs songs on a CGCF tuned bass, particularly Spiders, Mr Jack, Sugar, anything that utilizes the open strings extensively, but teaching yourself how to rearrange the notes from tabs you may have found for CGCF tunning to BEADG tunning will help your overall understanding of the instrument, I know it helped me, I used to be big into SOAD a few years ago

18. MusicMan810

MusicMan810

Apr 2, 2008
    Dude thats f'n metal!

19. tune 7-Strings / 5-String Down to Ab now THATS "metal"

20. Psh... The Acacia Strain tunes down to G.