1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

c major scale

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by marine18, May 9, 2010.

1. marine18

marine18

Dec 30, 2008
    maiden, n.c.
    what are three positions on the fretboard for the c major scale

2. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Amps and Sandberg Basses.
    2nd position starting on the A string, 5th position using your little finger to start on the E string, which will require a one position down shift to play the 7th and octave on the G string. Those two options are the same pitch, to play it an octave higher try 9th position on the D string which will require a position change up to 14th position to play the 6th, 7th and octave on the G string. Another option is 7th position on the E string which can be combined with the third one mentioned above to make a two octave scale.

3. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    I don't have any diagrams to post but those are pretty straightforward if you stick to one finger per fret in each position and know the notes.

4. [​IMG]

Little more help please. Go into detail - about first position, second position, --- 7th position on the E string -- 14th position, etc. What constitutes a position? Are you speaking of fret locations?

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    its what fret your first finger is at.

6. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    Hey, thanks for the diagram. With positions, i'm referring to the fret number that the first finger will be placed on. In the case of the 2nd, 7th and 9th position examples, the starting finger to play the root note, C, is actually the middle finger but the first finger determines position number and name. With regards to string name, I was stating which string the C is located on in each position.

7. marine18

marine18

Dec 30, 2008
    maiden, n.c.
    fret locations

8. I cheat and go here to look quite a lot, if I can't remember off the top of my head.

click

9. If you use Pacman's sure fire scale practice method (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50170) this stuff will be quite simple. You'll learn every scale, starting from anywhere IN the scale, on any point on the neck. And as a side-effect, you'll be automatically learning the modes too, if you're into that.