1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

C Tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by caboose122, Jan 7, 2012.

1. caboose122

caboose122

Dec 1, 2010
    Hi,

I'm trying to get my low string to an open C, so if i tune my 5 string bass to CEADG, will it cause damage to the neck?

If so could you guys recommend a set of strings that will allow me to go from B to C without any problems.

FYI I'm just using the strings that came with my bass, so I don't really know what the gauge is, but the neck is 35'' long.

Thanks

2. I'll bit and say that one semitone will have marginal difference in tension or problems...

but I'm a mathematician, not a physicist.

3. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    I'm by no means an expert...but I wouldn't expect any problems. Any strings (that fit your bass) should be fine. You might have to adjust the truss rod a touch...maybe. If you were tuning it a full step up or more or up tuning all your strings....a bit of a different story.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    NOpe.. and the "B" string will sound much phatter...

I tuned my 5 string with .125 .105 .085 .065 .045 CEADG and it sounded great!

5. a .125 would probably be ok, wouldn't recommend it on anything fatter.

6. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Some calculations reveal that a 0.135" B-string, tuned to C still produces less tension than a 0.065" D-string. So it doesn't affect the neck.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    From a mathematical standpoint, a 3-5 lb increase in tension is somewhere between 10% and 15% increase, which is kind of outside of "marginal".

However, B-strings are notoriously under-tensioned (usually sitting 5-10 lbs lower than the rest of the set), so couple that with the fact that thicker bass strings can reasonably withstand at least 55 lbs of tension before reaching a breaking point, and you're right - the difference is moot because the tension still falls perfectly within the string's normal tension limitations.

OP, I would hesitate to tune anything larger than a .135 up to a C.