1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab advice for SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by astav, Mar 10, 2009.

1. astav

astav

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Howdy friends. We've been using the SWR Goliath 610 from our old bass rig w/the SVT we just procured ('74 blackline). It sounds okay, but we're thinking a sealed cab would be better. We're considering the BergNV610 or an Ampeg 610 either of which will require more cash, but an interesting trade was proposed today: an Ampeg 810 Ultra? for the Goliath. I can't seem to find much info about this cab and am hoping the local Ampeg gurus can help. He emphasized it was not an SVT but an Ultra. We're not opposed to spending a little more money, but a straight across deal is always nice. Thanks!

2. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Oh god I bet that Goliath Sr. THUNDERS with an SVT.

3. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    I think the Ultra was the precursor to the HPC? I think it's ported and has a tweeter or coaxial driver. I'm not sure though.

4. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

5. Ohhhh I dunno re the ULTRA 810????? Tried the search function on top right of AMPS page??

Well if it's the HPC- s'posed to be a good cab. I'd still recommend the NV610.... size matters!

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Give it a try but I got a feeling that cabs monster power handling was designed to sound/work best with a big solid state amp.
    I like big cabs and all but that thing is like *really* heavy man... ;)

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    call me "old school" but i have always felt that if you like a vintage SVT head, you might as well get the other part of it that is almost equally responsible for its sound, an ampeg 8x10 cab. i have run alot of other heads thru an ampeg 8x10 and the cab has always made any head sound good thru it.

2 cents...........

8. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    the Ampeg 610 is not a sealed enclosure....

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, a vintage Ampeg 810, preferably a straightback, is the way to go with that head. The old cabs are superior to the newer ones in every way IMHO except power handling, but since the vintage cabs can easily handle what an SVT gives it, who cares? Tone's what's important.

However, by all accounts I've heard, the Berg NV610 is said to be pretty much the same sound as a straightback, and they're easier to get than an old straightback. I haven't played it, but there are a lot of vintage Ampeg nuts on here who say it's as close as it gets.

You could also get a straightback cab replica built by www.fliptops.net . They don't have the killer CTS speakers they used back then but www.webervst.com started making replicas of the CTS's at a pretty good price. It isn't cheap to go that route, but it will be in the same ballpark as a new Berg. And it'll look cooler than the Berg ;) The Berg looks cool but the SVT cab just looks right.

Great head, dude...I just got my old SVT rig working again...it's the shizzy. And for me, nothing but a straightback will do anymore. The Berg is a lot lighter and will apparently cop the right tone, but the straightbacks look cooler, and I think we all know what's more important here, don't we?

:bassist:

11. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    NV610, perfect for your needs

12. astav

astav

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I'm going w/the NV610. Found one on CL. Reasonable price, mint condition. Pick up tomorrow. Thanks all.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nice! Never could understand why current Ampeg can't make an 810 that sounds as good as the old Ampeg 810's but Bergantino can do it with 6 neos, fer cryin' out loud! Neos! Freakin' neos!

14. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    Jimmy, the NV cabs aren't neos. Just the AEs, IIRC.

Great choice astav. The NV610 sounds awesome and is SO much easier to deal with than the ampeg fridge. I love mine.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh snap. Here I got all excited over nothing. Sorry...

16. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
  17. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Bread & Jam...

18. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    You won't regret it.

19. GC4

GC4

Apr 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Definitely won't regret the NV610. I have one paired up with a '72 SVT.. I no longer have GAS for cabs/amps anymore.

20. jmcy2k

jmcy2k

Jan 23, 2008
    NYC
    The 810HPC has an "ultra" plate in the bottom right corner where an 810E has the "classic" plate ...