1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab design: out-growing WinIsd Beta, what next?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris 'Wighat' Jordan, Jun 9, 2013.

1. WinIsd Alpha Pro only runs in a Win 9x enviroment as far as I can tell. My computer runs Windows 7. Anybody have any ideas on getting WinIsd Alpha Pro to run in Windows 7 or a recommendation on another trustworthy, full-featured cabinet modeling application?

2. --Vissinger --

--Vissinger --

Jan 31, 2010
    Dual boot your machine with Linux.

Run WinIsd on Linux as a Wine application and choose any compatible Winders emulation you like. Runs fine.

Then you have added benefit of an opportunity to escape the Gatesian dystopia that is Windows.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    AFAIK there's also a version of Wine that will run on a Windows machine, which should allow you to run WinISD Pro within a "sandbox." Also, if you're adventuresome, I've got speaker modeling program at my website, that is in the form of an Excel spreadsheet with Visual Basic macros.

personalpages.tds.net/~fdeck/bass

A couple of TB'ers have been using my spreadsheet for speaker design.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
  5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Cool!

6. Wow. Couldn't find that for anything. Thank you all for your consideration.

7. Hi.

I run it under XP, and since the code is pretty darn good, it'll run on almost anything. Including the ~$50 laptops.
    A good use for that old computer You can't use for anything else anymore.

While the WinISD Beta is somewhat limited, the Alpha Pro can drive You out of your mind unless there's a complete parameter file either available on the library, or you can get it from the 'net.

Even if You do get full T/S parameters for an unknown driver, or you measure 'em, inputting that data is a tedious work and more often than not it fails to plot any meningful results. The parameters also have to be exactly correct, down to the 4th/5th digit, or it just won't work.

Eminence sells a designer program thet they AFAIK didn't write, but just re-brandeded as well, but after a quick try with that I liked Alpha Pro better.
    Mainly because of the library.
    And because it's free ;).

Good luck.

Regards
    Sam

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You could also try the English language version of Boxsim and/or Passive Speaker Designer.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    No problems running Winisd Pro Alpha on natively on Windows 7 for me

Right click on it, select properties, go to the Compatibility tab and pick "Run this program in compatibility mode for" then pick Windows 95

From then on it should run fine.

Even the signal generation works for me.