1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab Help: 2x10 + 1x15 or 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Divesh, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Divesh

Divesh

Aug 5, 2007
    Hi people, I'm new here, therefore I'll briefly introduce myself. My name is Divesh, I am indian but live in Valencia Spain. I own a Ibanez rd500 and a Kustom KBA80, which I am selling tomorrow. I have come here for help with a new amp.

Initially I was chosing between two heads, the Peavey Tour 450, and the Superfly 500. However, I am definetley getting the SUperfly after having read a few reviews.
    I am having problems choosing the cabs. I have two options:
    - Eden Nemesis NSP 212: 350w into 2x12w. My doubt is, being the superfly a 2x250w head, will it deliver 250w to the cab, or full 500?
    - Eden Nemesis NSP210, Eden Nemesis NSP115.

I am looking for a malleable sound, not to fiercely on the low end, but a sound which manages to pound on your heart and have strong personality.
    With the second option, my problem is I dont have enough money and therefore I would have t buy one cab first, then another. Which one would you guys buy first? Will I have enought sound with one cab whilst I save for the next one?

I plead for your help ASAP, I really need it as I already ordered the NSP212 and need to know if I should change it.
    Thank you very much.

2. Divesh

Divesh

Aug 5, 2007
    can someone please help? I do need it....

3. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    First of all, I've never heard of the Superfly 500. Is there any online info on this? Is it a monoblock amp or a stereo amp? Cuz when you say 2x250, that means to me it's a stereo amp, and that brings up the complications of bridging the amp together for a single cab. So gimme some info and stats on this amp, and it'll help.

My first instinct is to say, the Nemesis 212. I own the Eden 212XLT and simply love it. Far thicker and smoother low end than 15's or 18's and yet keeps the midrange drive and strength.

4. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender Supporting Member

The superfly is not bridgable and it is an Ashdown. You will only get the 250 watts @ 4 ohms going into the 2x12 from one side. That should be enough. If you want more volume, hook up the another cab to the other side and you will get 250 watts @ 4 ohms from that side also.

I recommend using the 212 and see what it sounds like. If you still need more you can get another cab of your choice. I would buy 4 ohm cabs to get the most from that amp. Hope I've helped and welcome to Talkbass.

-FF

5. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    BLECH! That Superfly is gonna be so frustrating, being unbridgable.

See, if it was bridgable, I'd say get the 212 now, and then a 210 afterwards for a very full-range sound. You can still go that way, but the Superfly's gonna be very low volume compared to running it fully loaded.

Divesh, have you had a chance to try out the Eden WT550B? It's a monoblock amp, and gives you full 500 watts at 4 ohms, and then lets you add to your rig later and drop down to 2 ohms for 750 watts. My current rig is the 550 into an Eden 210XLT-4ohm and Eden 212XLT-4ohm, running 750 watts at 2 ohms. And it's a death-defying rig. But I can use just the 212 for practice or smaller gigs, without worrying that I'm too quiet.

I'm just worrying that while you'll like the Superfly with a 4-ohm cab, you'll not be too happy once you're playing with a band and getting drowned out. If you're already planning to upgrade further down the road once cash is saved up, then go ahead. You'll definitely like the 212 over the 15.

6. Divesh

Divesh

Aug 5, 2007
    Thanks for your help guys.
    Most probably, brian, the product you are recommending me is way over what I can afford. I am sixteen and don't have much of an income.
    My budget is around 600€(700$?) and I've managed to find the Superfly at 220€ and the NSP212 at 380€ which is actually perfect price. I planned getting this until Ashdown replied saying that I can't work the 212 at 500w, which is kind of sad.
    SO you recommend me going for the 212 even if it only uses the 250w? Will this be enough? Later on I could buy a 2x10 or 1x15 to use up the 250w left. 2x10 would be better right? I've heard of cheap 2x10 such as the Ashdown MAG series, although I don't expect much of it. Anyone tried them?
    Thanks.

7. Frankie Fender

Divesh,

I think you will be fine with the 212 at 250 watts just make sure the cab is 4 ohms. It should sound great unless you play very loud, then I would suggest you get a 115 at 4ohms to go with it. That should be a very good sound and it would hit harder IMHO than the 212 with a 210.

Good luck!

8. Divesh

Divesh

Aug 5, 2007
    IMHO?

9. Frankie Fender

In My Humble Opinion,

I think one 15 would give more thump than two 10's if that is what you are looking for. Just my opinion.

-FF

10. Divesh

Divesh

Aug 5, 2007
    Thing is I ain't looking much for the thump, I look for clear, transparent sound. I hear bass talk all about punchiness and other wrds used to describe bass sound, I don't really understand all these words. I just think that 2x12 really reaches the inner part of my chest in a subtle way that I very much like. However, I believe fifteens are very wind blowing and tens are devoid of personality. I'll try once I get the money for a second cab.
    On the other hand, my main worries for now is that I don't know if a Superfly, working only at 250w@4ohm for one cab, will give me enough power until I manage to get the second cab.
    Anyways the NSP212 cab only gives 350w, so I'm just limiting off 100w. Does 100w make a noticeable difference?
    And by the way (standin in line to see the show tonight...), Ashdown MAG cabs are cheap, they good enough to add to my NSP212?
    Thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate it.

11. Frankie Fender

Tens would definitely punch you in the chest - with enough power behind them, that is what I use. But I have six of them in one cabinet and run it with 300 tube watts. Sometimes there is very little difference in 100 watts between the two heads, they are just numbers and measuring methods vary between manufacturers so one's 200 watts can easily equal another's 400 watts depending on what you are talking about. Don't get caught up in the numbers game, let your ears judge, if you can't play the setup (superfly+212) then you will have to trust other's opinions. I haven't read up on the superfly, but you have and decided it was for you. Ultimately it is up to you to decide, maybe a 410 for punch? I only use 210's for low volume rehearsals. Play as many amps and cabinets as you can and you will have a better idea of what you like. Look into a MAG410 cab. I think 10's punch better than 12's and 15's can disembowel with the proper amp.

12. Divesh

Divesh

Aug 5, 2007
    sorry for opening the other post, wasn't thinking. Something else... what about the Peavey Tour 450 head?