1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cab Recommendations for Walter Woods?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by misterbadger, Nov 15, 2017.

1. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    At the risk of opening a can of worms/food fight, I'd really appreciate opinions on a small cabinet that would pair well with a WW green light. I've only played through combo amps (currently an A-I Contra) and am completely ignorant in the cabinet world. I'll be playing upright only, small venues. Thanks for any help or direction.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  2. Bassguyrob

Bassguyrob

Jan 17, 2003
    Spokane WA
    I have been using an EA VL208 as my main cab for over 10 years with my blue light. If you could find a VL108, crazy 8 or Arnopol MAS18 I think you would be happy. Maybe reach out to @tombowlus to verify.

neddyrow likes this.
  3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    I gigged a WW through a Bag End 15 loaded with an EVM for years. Primitive, but it sounded great.

If you can swing it, consider a Greenboy Audio cabinet. Exactly no one I know who owns one is dissatisfied, including some very picky professionals.

neddyrow likes this.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Those are both great options. How small of a cab are you looking for? AudioKinesis makes some fantastic 1x12 cabs, but that might be larger than you want/need. Hard to beat a VL108 or Mike's smaller cabs if you want to go tiny, though.

Bassguyrob likes this.
  5. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Since I designed both the Crazy 8 and the MAS 18 I feel I can clarify.

The MAS 18 will go almost as loud as 3 Crazy 8's. And it goes much lower and is more powerful in the lows and is more balanced cab. About the same volume as a single 12. 21# and can be used as a floor wedge.

tombowlus and Bassguyrob like this.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've been very happy with a Bergantino 1-12 but unfortunately that is the smallest cab they make. You can see it in my avatar. I only use it when doubling, my DB-only gig rig is an AI Coda.

7. JimmyT

JimmyT

Nov 28, 2004
    Seatlle
    The MAS 1.8 performance and form factor make it my favorite cab in the last 37 years...very present and clear lows, pleasing mids. One 8 easily handles drummer, guitar and two horn players. I ordered a second one as well recently, to provide even more options.