Cabinet for Aguilar TH 500

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Selim, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    What's a small cabinet that works well with the Aguilar for double bass?

Right now, I'm using an Epifani 15", which sounds very good, but I'm looking for something lighter and more portable.

2. matt holt

matt holt Gold Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    I found the Eden EX112 sounded great with the TH500 for upright; and at 30lbs, and basically a 13" cube, it is super compact and easy to move.

Selim likes this.
  3. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I use a Genz Benz 8" speaker cab with my TH500 and it works great for DB application.

Kickdrum and Selim like this.
  4. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I'm a big fan of the Ampeg Micro SVT-210AV's. Can't say I've ever played Aguilar gear though.

5. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I have a Bergantino CN112 (new version is the HDN112, Jim is constantly changing/improving his line up) that is my go to cab for my TH. I would love to try his newer HG310 designed with acoustic instruments in mind. I also use a Barefaced One 10 that is close to the ultimate in light and portable. Big fan of the One 10 for rehearsals and anywhere there are stairs, etc.

6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Dave,
    Take a look at MAS (Mike Arnopol) Cabinets or the new Birdhaus 4x6 from Audiokinesis (Duke Lejune)

Eric Hochberg, Selim and Jon Mush like this.
  7. mikeGJ

mikeGJ Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Grand Junction, CO
    Audiokinesis Hathor 1203 is the answer to "the what cab should I get" question, unless you already have one.

Selim likes this.
  8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Although I don't own a Hathor 1203,
    I can attest to both the Audiokinesis TC 112 and the Birdhaus 4x6. Either are great DB cabinets. The Birdhaus 4x6 is small and lightweight.

Ric

9. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    I'm getting consistently great performance with a TH350 & RevSound 210. Both upright and electric. Only 30lbs, and quite affordable.
    10411139_826730264013608_3368139032346358049_n.jpg
    David Luke is a boutique builder in NH, been building cabs for many years now. Many other sizes and shapes as well.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Selim and Kickdrum like this.
  10. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    Aguilar SL112

Plutonium244 likes this.
  11. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    When I used the TH500, I didn't love it. (for me) However, it sounded great with the Baer ML112 box. The 6in mid driver gave air and punch to the G string, even at low volume. However, for upright and electric this box gets loud. I have to start a thread about this box. Its quite good.

12. ericsmith

ericsmith

Dec 22, 2008
    Finland
    Barefaced One10 has worked well.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  13. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I use a TH500 with an Aguilar SL112 and it sounds great.

Plutonium244 and Selim like this.
  14. Pat Harris

Pat Harris

Nov 17, 2006
    Brighton, MI
    MAS 16 or MAS 18 could be the last small cab you purchase. I've got a MAS 18 on order, and I really don't see how it can be beat, particularly for it's form/function and price point.

Selim likes this.
  15. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I’ll check it thanks

16. rickwolff

rickwolff ‘Leave the clams in, let ’em know we're human,' Supporting Member

Two more to consider:

Depending on HOW LIGHT and small you wish to go consider the Acoustic Image UpShot. 12 pounds and fits in my gig bag.

For something a little larger and heavier consider the Genzler 10-2. I have the Acoustic model that has the same speaker cabinet and it sounds great for DB. I think the line array really adds clarity to the mids that I haven't heard with a traditional woofer/tweeter cab.

Kickdrum likes this.
  17. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    I'm very pleased with the Barefaced Supermidget cab with my Aguilar TH350

Plutonium244 likes this.
  18. Plutonium244

Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    My TH350 sounds good with a Barefaced Super Midget (like oliebrice) or BB2; and also with a set of two SL-112's (echoing Chuck M). I'd quit using the Aggie stuff for a while-- a year or two-- thinking it wasn't quite doing it for me, and was wowed last week when I brought that rig out to a regular gig where I couldn't get a good sound with several other rigs. it sounded great. I do prefer two SL-122's to one, though.

EDIT: I see that the OP is specifically talking about double bass, which I'd missed. My experience with the Tonehammer in with EB and not DB.

19. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    Trace Elliot 2x8”

Kickdrum likes this.