1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabinet for my Ampeg SVT 2 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drcool, Mar 10, 2008.

1. drcool

drcool

Jan 9, 2008
    I finally pulled the trigger on a new amp. Been wanting one for a while and rather than debating back and forth for months I just bought this one. It is a US model and I got it on Ebay. It is basically new and just has a couple small scratches on the top and bottom.

But now I need to pick a cabinet (or cabinets) to go with this thing. I know the easy answer is the Ampeg 8x10 and that is my first instinct but I am not sure if I want anything that big right now. Most of the gigs I play are fairly small (100-200 people) and I really don't look forward to moving that cabinet around for practice, recording, etc.

Would 2 4x10s work for me? Maybe a 6x10? A 4x10 and a 1x15? Price is not really much of an issue. I want to get a good setup that will be flexible and last for a while so I would rather spend money now than spend now and then spend again later.

From my research it seems like I want a sealed cab to go with this amp and I would want a 4 ohm cabinet or 2 4 ohm cabinets.

Give me some help here. I am pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff. Any suggestions or guidance?

2. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I've played my 2-Pro out of a 410 HLF and an 810E.

I like the sealed sound of the 810E much better.

For you, I would recommend a good 410 or 610 a la Bergatino. 410 x2 is great at first glance, but if you plan on using both most of the time, I would go with an 810 all in one cab before getting dual 410s. It's always easier to move one 810 cab vs. two 410 cabs. One trip vs. two and a single sealed cab sounds better than two chained up... not opinion - fact.

So, in summary, get one cab that you think you'll 1. Like the sound of and 2. won't mind moving.

People rave about the Berg NV610 because of it's similar sound to the Ampeg 810E, but weighs about 70 lbs less and takes up less space. The con to that is finding one used - if that's the route you usually go - and the price difference.

3. Berg NV610 if you can. I would if i could :(

4. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Congrats on your SVT 2 Pro. You're going to love it!! If it was me I would have to hook that badboy up to an 810 to keep me smiling all week... Otherwise a 610 would be my second choice.

5. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    The 810 is just killer with this head! They are a match made in heaven. :hyper:

6. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    Berg NV610
    I use a SVT2Pro, a mesa 400+, V-4b and several other amps and the NV610 sounds better than my 810e and is easier to transport, easier than a 410 that weighs 100 lbs!

7. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I can't believe all this hype over the NV610 vs. 810. Maybe I'll understand someday??

8. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    I will not part with my 810e BUT the berg NV610 sounds more focused.

9. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Most folks on here are 30+ post back surgery. Anything that is lighter than an 810E within a stones throw of similar sound is going to be popular here.

10. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Back surgery = not good!

11. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I'm sure when I get there, I'll get a wimpy 1x10 + shuttle size amp too! :p

(Just joking with you guys)

(....might as well get a lift gate on the back of the van also... oh and a telescoping tilt back dolly :p)

12. drcool

drcool

Jan 9, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. I am pretty sure I will be going with the Berg NV610. So now I just need to figure out where to buy it. Any recommendations? There is nowhere near me that has them in stock.

13. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I've gigged my NV610 for quite a while now with a similar amp. I think you've made a great choice you wont regret.

Check the dealer list for your closest location, many will ship.
    http://www.bergantino.com/
    If your dealers wont, call Bergantino directly and leave a message explaining your issue.
    Jim's a busy guy but usually returns calls fairly quickly. (he's an amazingly cool guy to talk with)

14. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Good choice on the NV610, this cabinet not only has great reviews - it also retains it's value like a BMW.

15. drcool

drcool

Jan 9, 2008
    Well, the amp came today and the Bergantino NV610 is on its way. Can't wait to get this thing plugged in and bust out some windows in my house.