1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cables for Beer

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by kurtd, Nov 15, 2010.

1. kurtd

kurtd

Nov 16, 2008
    New Haven, Ct
  2. smgleitch

smgleitch

May 19, 2009
    Napoleon, OH
    You can do that? Man I got all sorts of crap I could give away for beer!!!!!

3. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    lmao....

4. Damn. And I just GIVE stuff away. <smacks own forehead> Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

5. sephiroth.rahl

sephiroth.rahl

Nov 11, 2010
    man, I wish I lived nearby, just to make that deal :)

6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I took a 12 pack of beer for a $50 drop on my bass cabinet.....I really wanted the beer!:D:bassist:

7. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    That's a pretty darn good deal!

8. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    There's an odd phenomena with beer. You can buy a good beer for about $2-3 a bottle, but when someone gives it to you it feels like it's worth about $5-10.

9. Agreed. Beer that's gifted is even better. There's no easier way to make a friend for life.

10. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Honestly, though. I really can't understand the rest of the world's fascination with beer. That stuff tastes just horrid! Worse than coffee. I'd rather be sober.

11. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    If I lived nearby and had beer, I'd probably tell the poster keep the cables and go have a beer/play some music with him(he's likely a musician considering that he's got such varied lengths of instrument cable laying around that he can part with).

When I read the title of this, I thought it was some kind of sound comparison and was very intrigued.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    This is what I have never understood about clubs. Give the musicians free beer and their eyes light up. It costs the bar next to nothing and gets them much more good will then the monetary value of the beer.

13. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Banned

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, Va
    Because in a bar, it is.

14. masterFlash

masterFlash

Jul 6, 2009
    detroit
    Awesome, you can drive!
    ;)

15. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    It depends. If it's draft, then it doesn't cost the bar much. But by the bottle, it would cost a bit more depending on how much the band drinks.

So say you have a heavy drinker that drinks 12 beers in a night. At about $3 a bottle at the store, it comes out to $36 for the night, which unfortunately is not out of the realm of possibility for a band member to make in a night nowadays. If the guy has 24 in a night, then the gig pays $72 which ain't too bad. But, I wouldn't want to be the guy or around a guy who had 24 beers.

Now if you're going draft, then the bar makes a killing. It probably only costs them around $.35-.50 a beer. The band can drink a 100 beers and it only costs them under $50.

16. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    IMO, the bar kinda reduces the value of a beer. For example, buy a friend or lady a $5 beer at the bar, and they treat it like a $5 beer or maybe even less. But outside of the bar, it's different. For example giving your friend a sixer of a good beer that costs $12 for helping you move to your new apartment, gives the feeling of $40 in value.

I dunno, this is beer math and economics so there's bound to be something wrong with my equation.

It's the thought that counts, right?

17. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    That's the kind of math I understand. Horridly delicious beer math.