1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabs - Stack or side by side?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sax4blues, Mar 24, 2009.

1. sax4blues

sax4blues

Mar 7, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    I have GB Shuttle 6.0 combo. I now want to add second 1x12 and my automatic thought was this would be stacked. I know that for footprint space the stack is most compact.

What I'm wondering is the sonic difference/considerations between stacking cabs (seems to be most common) or having them side/side on the stage? If space/footprint is not a factor would you still stack?

2. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have 2 1X15 Lopo Line cabinets. I run out of a Sunn 190B head.
    I have had my rig side by side and that is a pretty compact setup.
    The only reason why I stack when I do is to bring the 190B closer to
    my eyes so I can see it and change EQ or something faster.
    Depends on the venue--for a more hectic or dark venue in a smaller stage setting--ill stack.
    If it is a more relaxed show in which our band can show our vintage gear I do the side by side thing.
    Side by side is a little less precarious though...more stable setup for the head.

Either way, I have had complaints about sound only when the house is packed.
    So I guess that could be an advantage of stacking---to get over people who block the sound. :bassist:

On a side note, for some reason, my bass sounds better and louder when I am near a corner...I dont know why...maybe someone here can answer that one.

Sunn

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Search for Bill Fitzmaurice or JimmyM or "comb filtering" for many threads/posts on sidebyside/stacking cabs.

Bottom line is that stacking gets better dispersion and better tone. Side by side gets interference from speaker to speaker.

It also gets you sound at or near ear level so you can hear yourself better.

4. +1 on bill anything he has said i trust.

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    But Bill said Toto was dating Lassie and that's not true.:eek:

Ballin'bass likes this.
  6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

+1 on stacking vs. side-by side.

No opinion on the Toto/Lassie situation.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Alas, Bill's deficiencies as a canine gossip columnist are well known in this forum... :eyebrow:

MM

8. I use a pair of 2x10s and I stack them on their ends, vertically. I can hear myself better and I project better.

Paul

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

ditto ditto

_
    O
    O
    _
    O
    O
    _

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Maybe not, but I have it on good authority that Bambi will go all the way for a buck.

11. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm sure it's because the corner is acting like a megaphone of sorts. The sound spreads out, but with a wall behind the amp, the sound bounces off the walls.

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    The wall acts like an additional cabinet and in essence helps amplify. The effect is local to a certain amount of space.

Generally I try to stay away from those sorts of instances as much as possible as it's not a true idea of your sound or tone. Hollow stages, Concrete Floors and other surfaces can also do similar things.

13. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I believe that if you have your cabs in a corner, you gain a few more db due to the sound reflection but I'm not sure how big the gain is. Perhaps Bill can enlighten us a little more.

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Middle of a field is half-space, that's the base measurement. Next to a wall is quarter space, you get an additional 6dB in the low end. A corner is eighth-space, an additional 12dB.

15. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    Thanks Bill.