Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calibrating record player

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I just got a new stylus (needle) for my record player and i was told i need to calibrate my player. Can anyone shed any light on the process of this, i think it involves more than just adjusting the weight on the arm.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you only got a needle you can carefully replace it in the socket. If you got the whole cartridge you'll need to calibrate carefully .... IF you have a "standard mount" turntable. If you have a P-Mount turntable, it's plug and play. P-Mount is identifiable by the "T4P" logo and a plug held in by a single screw at the end of your tone arm. If that's what you have, just plug and go. "Standard mount" is identifiable by two screws in a flat plate which the cartridge hangs from at the end of the tonearm. If this is the case you need to carefully align the cartridge and I don't know how to do it. Check www.needledoctor.com for information, they probably have a FAQ.

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Thanks phil, yeah i have the P mount, so i guess im good to go.