1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Calibrating record player

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I just got a new stylus (needle) for my record player and i was told i need to calibrate my player. Can anyone shed any light on the process of this, i think it involves more than just adjusting the weight on the arm.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you only got a needle you can carefully replace it in the socket. If you got the whole cartridge you'll need to calibrate carefully .... IF you have a "standard mount" turntable. If you have a P-Mount turntable, it's plug and play. P-Mount is identifiable by the "T4P" logo and a plug held in by a single screw at the end of your tone arm. If that's what you have, just plug and go. "Standard mount" is identifiable by two screws in a flat plate which the cartridge hangs from at the end of the tonearm. If this is the case you need to carefully align the cartridge and I don't know how to do it. Check www.needledoctor.com for information, they probably have a FAQ.

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Thanks phil, yeah i have the P mount, so i guess im good to go.