1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Calling all DR Stainless Steel/Lakland 55-02 users

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Feb 20, 2021.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Lakland 55-02 and Stainless Steel string(s) "dilemma" As of right now, (to ME) the best sounding SS string is the GHS Super Steels; the problem is that they're a little hard to come by for (55-02) 5 string Basses (which requires a longer scale string); So, I'm considering trying a set of DR SS strings (never been a fan of DR Nickels), but I'm "torn" between which set would sound closest to the GHS Super Steels; the High Beams, the Fat Beams or the Low Riders? Which one of these 3 sets provide a better low mid tone and thump or overall better low end? Will any/all of these sets be long enough to fit a 35' scale Bass? OR do I need the Long neck set that DR offers? and does the Long Neck set have good low/mid punch or just better overall low end? Thanks

2. You can order a single Super Steel 130B (STB130) to go with any of the 4-string sets so all five strings would have 38" winding length.

Singles - Bass Super Steels

madjazzbass likes this.
  3. I tried the Super Steels 40-102 and the SS Lo-Riders 40-100 last year, though on two different basses, and found them to be similar in terms of stiffness/flexibility. Hex-core vs. hex-core, the LRs would be the closest in feel to the Super Steels, while the Hi Beams and the Fat Beams, both being round-core, would have a slightly different feel due to their flexibility.

4. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    michael_t, You're the Man! Thanks a lot, I think that's a Fantastic Idea! Much appreciated. ... Just out of curiosity, I still would like to know how they (Super Steels) measure up against the DR Fat Beams. :smug:

5. It's been seven and a half years since I last tried the Fat Beams (45-105) and they were on my Fender Jazz only for three weeks before I decided SS rounds were not for me, so it's kind of hard for me to compare the two at this point.

madjazzbass likes this.
  6. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Lakland SS sets are made by GHS. They are essentially Super Steels. Plus they have the tapered B for five string sets.
    DR Low Riders fit on Laklands string thru bridge. And if you want a tapered B get a Long Neck B string. It fits perfectly through the bridge just like the Lakland strings with the right amount of taper over the B string saddle.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021