1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Calling all G&L experts....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raybass77, Jul 17, 2012.

1. I'm thinking about buying a L 2000 in the near future. I just want to know, what the differences are (if any) between the USA and Tribute models.

They seem to have the same electronics and timbers, so why nearly $1000 difference?

I'd love to hear from someone who owns or has owned both, but any experienced advice would be appreciated.

2. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    It's sort of like the difference between a Mexican and an American Fender.

3. The tribute line is very limited in terms of options.

The pick-ups are the same, the electronics are indonesian equivalent.

You can choose neck profile of the mia.

They sound basicaly the same, as the wood is the same.

The tributes are very good basses but the mia are better in terms of feel.

4. Aha - I didn't realise they had options available for the USA ones, that makes a lot more sense.

What are the main differences as far as electronics go, all info I can find is that they are exactly the same.

5. the pick-ups are exactly the same (made in usa), but the electronics in the tributes are the same but not made in usa but in indonesia....

6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    This is a pretty comprehensive review of a Tribute, which also explains some of the differences between the Trib and US models.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Woods are not the same, USA G&L's use much better wood. USA wood is picked by hand and dried differently and all that stuff. Sometimes on Tribby's you'll see a 3 or 5 piece body.

Also, fit & finish is much better on USA models. Usually a Tribute will need some finish work on the frets and stuff. USA's, being handmade, just have better quality woods and attention to detail.

All that being said, Tributes are amazing basses. They are about on par with USA Fenders.

8. A USA G&L could be the last bass you need to buy. They hold up forever and a multitude of sounds are available.

You'll still want more basses but you won't need em.

9. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    I prefer the MIA's, as I own a L2500 MIA. I think the finishing options are better on the MIA's. To me, the burst finishes are better on the MIA's. They just look a little meh on the tribby's.

The tributes I have played are quality instruments. The neck can be a little "bassball bat" like, but you can get more neck options on the MIA's. As mentioned, it is hard to beat a handmade MIA G&L.

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Exactly right. The wood's not the same. Yes, they both use maple or maple/rosewood for the necks, but the MIA will be better selected and better dried.

On the bodies, only the clear finishes are ash on the Tribbies. Solid colors are basswood.

As the others have stated, the p'ups and hardware are the same, but the electronics are of lower quality.

All that said, the Tribbies are still great basses and, for the money, are pretty hard to beat. Personally, I'd rather get a used MIA for the same money, but there's nothing wrong with a Tribby.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Wood is not the same. In fact, it's one of the main differences. The grain on MIA models is always to die for. And wood fit and finish translates into some sort of minor differences in the "mojo" of the instruments. My Tribute is great, but my MIA G&Ls somehow seem to speak with just a little more "authority" or some other undefinable quality. There does seem to be a difference.

Thus, given the choice of a new Tribby or a used USA, I'd recommend the USA since they are often comparable in price. But the Tribby is pretty close. The exception being the Basswood models which to me tend to sound dull and rolled off. Your tastes may differ. The lighter weight of basswood will override all other considerations for some people.

I haven't noticed any differences in the electronics sound, unless that is where that USA "mojo" is coming from.

And for me the thick neck is why I love them, others hate that.

12. Thanks for your help guys, but unfortunatley I won't be going with G&L.

I went into the only G&L dealer I could find here, (Melbourne, Australia) to check 'em out, and the range was very small.

When I asked if they could get me what I wanted, the guy said he honestly didn't know as the Australian distributor's phone has been disconnected and they hadn't responded to any emails for a long time :eyebrow:, so he assumes they have gone out of business.

Guess I'll just keep saving for that Wal...... :hyper:

13. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    I could put you in touch with the guys in new Zealand, I could check when they are putting their next order through.