Calling all Hartke users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Station, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Station

Feb 2, 2004
    Wales , UK
    My mate is thinking of buying a Hartke HA4000 head. can anyone give me the lowdown. are they reliable,have they got good tone range? etc... I'm a Peavey-ite myself and I've only ever tried a Hartke briefly in a music shop.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Sundogue owns one. He'll be in here shortly to give you a rundown. I own the HA3000 and HA5500. Both very nice amps. No complaints.
  3. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yes Sundogue is the one to really ask since he gave me advice about mine...but...since I took his advice I have a whole new appreciation for mine. It has tremendous amount of tweaking capability, so much I became daunted in trying to find my tone...eventually I got it. I run it at 4 ohms trhough an Avatar 212 and a 410...sounds killer!!!
  4. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, he does have one. wait...that would be me. :)

I'm happy to chime in with my opinions on it. The HA4000 is an awesome amp. Solidly built and tonal variety that will leave you struggling with it for awhile.

While it does not have a graphic EQ, the parametric EQ is excellent for tone shaping. It has a DBASS (for Deep Bass) that really helps bring out the low end. But be careful with that as it does not take much to make a low B or E stand the point of blowing your speakers!

The Lo and Hi Mid parametric really allows for you to get that "sweet spot" with your mids. It also has a nice tone "shaping" and "intensity" knobs to get you close to "your" sound before you start fine tuning it with the parametrics.

There is an awesome amount of tonal control over this amp, but it does require some playing about with all the controls to get the sound you want. Not really a plug and play amp, but once you find your sound it really delivers it!!!

My initial reaction to playing through it at first was that I did not like it. The sound was not to my liking at all. But after playing around with it, I realized that it just takes a little time to get your sound. It almost has too much tonal variety.

There is not a sound one couldn’t get with it. One thing that really impressed me, after I found my sound with it, was that it sounds like a tube amp. It is a solid state 400 watt (into 4 ohms) amp, but it has that warm fat tube-like sound. The control is unbelievable…you can get very bright highs, tight cutting mids and very tight, solid lows…(very low).

I play through a Peavey 410TXF. That combination gives me a very tight sound, from crisp highs, well defined mids (which I prefer to cut a bit...but that could just be my cab too) and very, very tight lows. Lows that are not boomy at all (though you could get them that way if you want).

It's got loads of inputs and outputs. It's got a Pre-EQ send and return, a Post-EQ send and return, a tuner out (with a mute switch on front so you can tune quietly), a Sub bass output (if you wanted to drive another amp into a dedicated subwoofer, with an automatic crossover for very low sub frequencies), 1/4" direct out and XLR line out that are Pre-EQ, and an XLR Post-EQ out.

The HA4000 has a delay when you turn it on, so even if you have the volume up when you turn it on, you won't get that "pop" into your speakers. It also has a variable speed fan that runs faster or slower depending on how much heat is generated. The fan is pretty quiet compared to most other amps I've owned.

Bass Player magazine gave it their Editor's Choice Award. I've got the review if you can't find it. Just PM me and I'll send it to you.

All in all, a great amp with loads of volume and tonal a price that can't be beat. I was either going to get this or an Eden WT-600. I'm very happy with my choice.

This is an excerpt from the Bass Player Mag review...The Hartke HA4000 is one of the best values going. Its tone is comparable to some amps costing more than twice as much. It has sufficient power for most club gigs and has more than enough tone-shaping capability for any situation. It's also well built and should survive on the road.
  5. Station

Feb 2, 2004
    Wales , UK
  6. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Read signature