1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Calling all headbangers-Need help completing a playlist project.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZBirdV8, Jul 9, 2020.

1. ZBirdV8

ZBirdV8

Feb 26, 2012
    Detroit Michigan

I've been trying to create a chronological heavy metal playlist encompassing all important bands, and genres. This is where I am so far, but I know I've probably overlooked some things. Particularly my post 2000 knowledge is a bit sparse.

I'd like to get input on it as is and any suggestions for things I've over looked.

Ellery and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  2. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

I look forward to checking this out. Off the top of my head and without having looked into it yet, for post-2000 you will need High On Fire, Mastodon, Lamb of God, and Gojira. (Not just them, but at least them.)

3. ZBirdV8

ZBirdV8

Feb 26, 2012
    Detroit Michigan
    I have Lamb of God on there. Instead of High on Fire I have Sleep (Matt Pikes first big time band), I like "Blood and Thunder" from Mastodon but wasn't able to find a good recording/upload of it. I have tried Gojira before, but I've not heard a song by them that particularly gripped me, do you have suggestions?

4. neurotictim

neurotictim Gold Supporting Member

Can't see the link since work has blocked Youtube, but I'll chime in alongside @Monterey Bay-ss off the top of my head:

Opeth (Blackwater Park)
    Caligula's Horse (Bloom)
    Baroness (Yellow & Green)
    Mudvayne (LD 50, but any works)
    Jinjer (King of Everything)
    Meshuggah (Nothing)
    Cynic (Traced in Air)
    Devildriver (self-titled)

and maybe
    Rise Against (Appeal to Reason)

HG1180, Vinny_G, Element Zero and 3 others like this.
  5. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    I like stranded

srayb and Element Zero like this.
  6. ZBirdV8

ZBirdV8

Feb 26, 2012
    Detroit Michigan
    I have tried and tried to like Opeth, and I just don't. I have a Baroness track on the list. Mudvayne sucks. I got to check out jinjer. I owned the Koloss album from Meshuggah once upon a time, and listened to it repeatedly but it didn't do anything for me. Cynic is pretty cool I added "How could I". Devildriver is kinda meh.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    neurotictim likes this.
  7. Monterey Bay-ss

I thought you were after a complete survey of genres and important artists; I didn’t realize you also had to like them, haha. I personally have never gotten into Lamb Of God but I recognize their talent and impact (they also seem like really cool guys, and I suspect I just haven’t heard the right stuff yet). High On Fire merits inclusion even if you already have Sleep on there: different bands, different styles, same guitarist. For Gojira, start at “Explosia” and “The Axe.”

Element Zero, Ryno1330 and pcake like this.
  8. ZBirdV8

ZBirdV8

Feb 26, 2012
    Detroit Michigan
    I want to be complete but I also want it to kick ass. It is a list I listen to during my job which involves a lot of time spend driving. What High on Fire Track do you reccomend?

9. Monterey Bay-ss

“Snakes for the Divine.” :bassist:

10. ZBirdV8

ZBirdV8

Feb 26, 2012
    Detroit Michigan
    Yeah that rips! That goes on.

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  11. Monterey Bay-ss

When the bass comes in :woot:

12. Certainly not as heavy as what's been listed already, but bands like Disturbed, Godsmack, Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, and Slipknot could certainly go on that list.

Still heavy, but maybe getting a little too diverse, I'd add Infectious Grooves and other similar bands from that era also.

Loring likes this.
  13. ZBirdV8

ZBirdV8

Feb 26, 2012
    Detroit Michigan
    Yeah I got to get the Nu Metal crew on there.

Update-Got em.

Quinn Roberts likes this.
  14. Killswitch Engage?

15. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC

Byzantine

jonesn4bass likes this.
  16. ZBirdV8

ZBirdV8

Feb 26, 2012
    Detroit Michigan
    That's another one that I wanted to include but the uploads, or maybe the production isn't good. There was an era of over-compressed production in the early 2000's because mp3 players at the time were primitive. Producers would compress the mixes so that the file size was smaller then crank the volume, and basically everybody go victimized by this practice. Loud thin music. If you got the links to good versions of "Bid Fairwell" I'd put that on it.

17. ZBirdV8

ZBirdV8

Feb 26, 2012
    Detroit Michigan
    The Bass intro kicks ass but the production (the ride cymbal particulary) is rough, and these vocals are ass.

HG1180 likes this.
  18. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Ok, I deleted my other suggestions because I can see that you’ve got this covered.

HG1180 likes this.
  19. ZBirdV8

ZBirdV8

Feb 26, 2012
    Detroit Michigan
    I was digging the black breath stuff and I have always liked Crowbar. I got Weedeater, Eyehetegod, and Buzzov*n representing Sledge in there too.

Ellery likes this.
  20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Definitely the hardest, of the hardcore, the heaviest iron sharpening iron sledgehammer of all time.

PillO likes this.