Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling all PS2 fans!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NJL, Jul 5, 2005.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    My wife and I were at my sister-in-law's house over the weekend...we took
    dinner and played Tetris on their Playstation 2...my wife was more hooked than I, but
    now she really wants one. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind having one, but a propelled lawn mower would be a better bet (that's another story).

Anyway, I think during my lunch hour, i'm going to go pick one up from Circuit City or Best Buy, they are the same price @ $149.99. Other than an extra controller, what would you recommend to buy? I'm very new to gaming (don't really have the time for it, but oh well), just trying to make my wife happy. :)

BTW, I do have a 6.1 surround sound system and a home network with WiFi....

:)

thanks!

2. Get a pre-owned system you can get at any mall software store for 70-ish bucks, and buy Tetris used for 15 bucks, and you're not out too much coin.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Really??? I presume they are out of warranty, but for $70, I wouldn't be crying if something happens... hmm, this is food for thought, thanks, Mon!!! :)

I really want to buy used games, why not, right? :D

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I take it those little 8mb cards are per person or can you save multiple people on a card (obviously not when playing against each other at the same time).....sorry for being a newbie... :(

:D

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    ehm, kinda weird to buy a PS2 to play Tetris, but..

Cool games:

GTA San Andreas
    Need for Speed Underground 2

Medal of Honour: European Assault

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    true, but when were were at Best Buy looking for rechargable batt's for our
    new digi cam, she pointed out that not all new games were $50 (I thought they were)...

we would buy used games like Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune (yeah, yeah, I know) BUT I really like racing games (I already have Need For Speed: Underground on my laptop - it's the only game I have bought in years)...

the way I see it, i buy her a game of her choice, i also get one of my choice... :D

;)

7. NJL, At this rate the new systems will be out in a year. I highly suggest going the used route because it will save money, plus you won't be bitching about how much money you spent to buy a ps3 when you got a ps2 for 70 bucks.

8. Get an X-box, tetris is on microsofts system as well, plus less loading time and no memory cards to deal with.

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    WARNING! This game is very mature and somewhat disturbing! No one under the age of 45 should be allowed to play it!
    And get a used PS2. The PS3 will be here soon.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    LMAO!! :D

Yeah i have been thinking about the PS3 (what a work of art) - I'll get one of those in late next year if not early 07'.....

11. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    All they do is put a "bookmark" of sorts on your progress so it can load up your settings, etc when you re-load. If you're just after a few games here, an 8MB card would be more than enough for 2 people. Actually, for me 8MB is too much... :)

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    cool! thanks!

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The previews of the PS3 were stunning , to say the least :eek:

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah, especially the built in WiFi and Bluetooth!!!! I haven't even checked out the graphics and speed yet....

i wonder if they will go back to having a HD in the unit...that would make sense!

15. The used route would be a good choice since the PS2 is several years old and will soon be replaced by the PS3, but Sony's systems are notorious for having issues. PS2s (even PS1s) have stopped working after a few years, and a used system might just be about to crack. However if you want to pick up a PS3 when it comes out, there's not much to worry about.

Used games are a god idea provided the cds are in good condition. A memory card is almost necessary.

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Used games are where it's at. I pretty much stopped gaming, but I still make a trip down to EB every so often to pick up a couple $1-$5 used games. (or $10-$15 if it's a more recent system/game)

There is a slight risk that discs might be scratched/worn/messed, but generally I have never had any problems, and I think EB games has a return policy on their used merchandise.

Honestly though, if you're not a big gamer and you're not interested in the latest games, always buy used games, saves a ton of money.(new games are like $40-50!)

Used memory cards are cool too.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think Sony has since sorted out all or most of any problems associated with the PS2 design and/or functionality. Chances are good that he'll be fine getting a new or used one(assuming it's not in bad condition)

The PS3 is going to be at least $300, considering NJL doesn't like the concept of spending $150 on a game system, I think that's way out.

18. Yeah, as for the worries about used games being scratched, as long as there's no scratches on the data layer (which is directly underneath all the graphics) then a 20 dollar Disc Doctor will fix any other scrathes like new.

In this capacity, the Disc Doctor would pay for itself in 3 or 4 used game purchases, and you will have STILL saved money.

Works like a charm.

Mon

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Some CD stores will do that for free or cheap too.

20. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    DO NOT GET PRE OWNED PS2'S

a lot of ps'2 become defective arter years of use(due to dust, pet hair and dander, cigarette smoke etc etc). mine just died recently so i went out and bought a new one(thin line).

the thin line is good, i got a warranty for 2 years at best buy, plus if they make a new one in the next 2 years, you can bring it back and get the price subtracted from the newer version.

if you like old school games, you should check out the 20 dollr bin, a lot of them have activision, kaleico vision, and other early atari and nintendo games, for the ps2. i have the one with pac man and dig dug. so awesome.

i would get a controller. dont get aftermarket ones because they always suck. get a factory ps2 controller, because they really are the best on the market, you would need atleast a 8mb memory card, because you are going to wanna save those high score that you and your wife will argue about for years to come, and you may need an rf adapter(if the tv is old and doesnt have the rca inputs).

if you have pets or smoke, i would keep it covered up by something. i throw a sheet over it to keep out the dirt and dust because they really do mess up everything.