1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Calling all the filter freaks...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CliffD, Apr 9, 2009.

1. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    So I recently got a Barge Grinder and LOVE it, it takes some work but the work pays off. So I'd like another filter under my feet but I want something VERY different than my meatball inspired grinder, here's what I'm thinking of:

-Chunk OS
    -Subdecay Prometheus
    -WMD Fatman

Help a brother out!

2. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    hmmmm all of those are very different indeed. what exactly are you looking for in terms of a different filter?

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Just my thoughts:

I wouldn't buy the Chunk OS unless you really wanted all the other features. If you were buying it as another filter, I'd just get the 00Funk. Even still, I don't think those two filters are all that different sounding. Both are pretty tweakable and wet, but not "organic" sounding - at least to my ear.

The Prometheus is a lot of fun when using the stepped filter mode, but personally I didn't care for the actual sound of the filter. But try one, you may have a different view. It is somewhat different from the Grinder tone. Like the Meatball/Grinder etc it also takes a lot of knob twiddling.

I also didn't like the WMD Fatman. Just didn't really care for it. It sounds awesome for the electronic sounds that John Davis uses it for, but outside of that it just sort of fell flat for me. But again, very tweakable and different strokes for different folks.

Some filters that I would consider different enough from the Grinder to make it worth it to have both would be:

MXR Bass Auto Q, Pigtronix EP-1, DOD FX25, Original Mu-Tron, Jacques Trinity and a few others that I can't recall at the moment. Maybe the new Robotalk 2 as well. I'll let you know when it shows up.

4. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    I dunno, I just love the sounds that come out of my grinder and want more variety than just my grinder, that help at all? My only filter experience is from my grinder and a moog bass murf if that helps.

5. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    well......i'm gonna vote for the line6 fm4 for overall versatility and diversity of different sounds......and if you want something outrageous/amazing for other things besides bass........frostwave funk-a-dunk....which i still have not done a review for yet :scowl:

6. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Yeah I mentioned the Chunk OS 'cause I do know it has a killer filter in it, along with all of the other features, suppose it's a synth though. Thanks for the input!

7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    EBS Bassiq. Fewer knobs, more utility, wet and thick as a big bad mucus. Compact and available used at affordable prices. I realize it's "only" a lowpass filter but with three modes and a really wide attack range (plus a dry blend trimpot inside) I think it gets as many cool sounds as several other, often more expensive and much larger filters - it is easier to use, too.

Why are there not more envelope filters designed and voiced specifically for bass? It is a cryin' shame. I've had enough of oversized envelope filters with limited utility for bass and a whole bunch of useless ones (note to experimentalists: please don't tell me to be "more creative").

8. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    I'll check 'em out, gracias.

9. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I've often wondered that too. Honestly, if I were to make a list of the effects that I really consider "bass effects", meaning that in general you see more bass players using them than guitarists, I'd say octaver and envelope filter would be at the top, if not the complete list.

Bass IQ, 00Funk, 442 Red, what others am I missing?

10. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    For something simpler and much different than the Metaball/Grinder, you might want to try a DOD440-based filter like the BYOC filter or the Tonefactor 442 Red/Boomstick Bottomfeeder or whatever other clones there are. I like that sound for something that's totally not synthy and slightly subtle, but not boring.

11. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    if you count the EP-1, shouldn't you include the polyphase as well?

12. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Ashdown's filter is bass-specific. I don't like it though. On bass, I dont' like it. In a floop it's a reason to get up in the morning, though.

13. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Oh yeah, forgot the bassiq, will check it out.

14. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I would if it didn't suck. . .

I just forgot to list it. I guess technically I could include the Phantasm as another "envelope phaser" but I don't think of it as being in the same category as the Polyphase and EP-1.

15. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    haha. you and your active basses :rolleyes:

16. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I've long since stopped qualifying every post in the effects forum with the fact that I play exclusively active basses, but it really has limited my choice in effects to an extent. With fuzzes to a LARGE extent.

Filters, not so much with a few big exceptions.

17. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Get them all so I can come down and try them out. :D

Been looking for a filter myself. The closest I've come is getting the MXR Bass Auto Q Wah. But I want an actual envelope filter or two.

18. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    We can't forget the almighty mutron!

19. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    We didn't. Check post #3.

;)

20. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Yeah I thought of that one but all I ever hear is about how the old ones are way better, blah blah blah....