1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Callouses impacting other stuff?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xzzy, Apr 24, 2009.

1. xzzy

xzzy

Mar 6, 2009
    I'm a relatively new bass player, got a little under 1 year under my belt (played guitar for a long time prior to that), and one thing I've noticed as my fingertips toughen up is that the callouses make it really hard to use my Macbook.

I'm right handed, and when I was guitar exclusive, I never had callouses on my right hand. Well now that I do.. I notice that trackpads on laptops just don't work as well as they used to. Lots of skipping or poor motion detection, especially with my index finger which has the thickest shell on it.

Is this common? I've found I have to use the trackpad with my pinky or ring finger to get the best results.

Not a side effect I anticipated when I started working on this instrument.

2. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    Those big calluses will go away after a while. My fingertips look a bit uneven but the skin is very tough. They weren't like that always. I had the big calluses thing for a while though.

3. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

You get used to them after a while. I've been playing so long that having much sensitivity in any finger on my left hand, or having much on the first two fingers of my right hand, would be strange to me.

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Calluses were part of the reason I stopped using round-wounds strings several decades ago; not a problem with flats.

5. p0werslav3

p0werslav3 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    And it's hard to pick your nose when you have no feeling in the tips of your fingers :p

6. I use a small usb wireless mouse on my laptop forget the mouse pad, I have been playing for 32 years. Yes the calluses will diminish in size, but the end of my fingers is smooth and very hard, not effective for mouse tracking pads, nose picking I use my pinky.

7. mightypog

mightypog

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Haha, my calluses screw up my trackpad bad. Have to use my ring and pinky finger! I've heard blind musicians have a hard time with braille cause of calluses. That would suck, to have to chose between reading and playing music.

8. Seems pretty weird to me. Maybe with those calluses you're just too manly to use a Mac.

Can't you adjust the touchpad to be more sensitive?

9. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Cleave once told me a reason to not let your calluses get to big, lol!