Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

camelopard endpins

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by freemole, Aug 22, 2004.

1. freemole

freemole

May 24, 2003
    Does anyone have any experience with or opinions about the Camelopard "pizz" or "arco" endpins? Is the concept sound (no pun intended although it is pretty good) or is it just another marketing ploy? Any info is greatly appreciated.

2. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Hi,
    I have a lot of experience with the Camelopard end-pin. I became interested in them after talking with the man who makes them...I can't remember his name at the moment, but he had this concept (he is a cellist) that the density of the end pin (which is a highly resonant part of the instrument) could play a huge role in the open free resonance of the instrument. He began experimenting with titanium tube and various dampening fillers. Long story short, he came up with two end-pins that emphasize different aspects of the sound. He also makes a carbon fiber model that is slightly less resonant then either of the other two. BTW the sockets he makes with gold plated thumb screws are top notch)
    Because I was interested..and I guess he was just getting started...and he is an incredibly nice guy...he sent me all of them to try and to show the other bassists that I know...So I have on my bass the Pizz but I also have the arco and the carbon fiber and he also sent me a hollow version to campare as a control.
    When I first put it on my bass, it made a huge difference in sound, especially with the tip rather then the stopper..(yea I know they all sound better coupled to the floor) but this made a huge difference. I had David Gage put it on and I left the other endpins with David to test...He wasen't blown away by the difference, but he was listening in a loud shop without really being intimate with how my bass sounded before.
    Anyway It really opened my bass up a lot and if you want to hear them all and you are in the bay area give me a shout.
    The craftmanship is as good as it gets, these endpins and sockets are made to go on world class instruments and he uses the best wood, gold plating and and ingenious locking mechanism, titanium endpins and carbide tips.
    I'll tell you something else...get the tail cord piece from Mike Pecanic or if you want to spend a bunch more for the same thing the shertler tail piece wire. that also makes a huge difference in the vibrational openness of your bass (....vibrational openness?....I've been living in Marin County too long...)

3. Hey flatback, can you or someone post some pictures of this end-pin?

4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
  5. Thanks, Fingus.....Very pretty and pretty expensive.

6. freemole

freemole

May 24, 2003
    Thanks for the great info Flatback. I might get a chance to try one out and was wondering if it would be worth the effort to have it installed. I think I'll give it a go. Thanks again.