1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can anyone help me with this Roadster?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matxlrose, Aug 6, 2012.

1. matxlrose

matxlrose

Aug 6, 2012
    I'm looking at this Ibanez Roadster on the guitar center website. I'm not too familiar with Roadsters but I've heard good things about them around the web. The Guitar Center employee I spoke with over the phone (the guitar is in NC and I live in GA) said that the guitar is 8-10 years old, made in Japan, and its serial number is F74436. I'm just wondering if this is a good deal or not. Would this be better than say a Squire Vintage Modified Jazz '77?

Edit: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-IBANEZ-ROADSTER-BASS-WHT-4STR-107849439-i2578706.gc sorry. here is the link.

2. Link doesn't work.

3. matxlrose

matxlrose

Aug 6, 2012
  4. It is most likely a roadstar. The Roadster where the predecessors of the Roadstar basses/guitars. AFAIK Ibanez only made Roadsters for a couple years, I think 81-82 or therabouts.

5. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Not sure what year this would be. I have an '83 or '84 Roadstar II P bass, so very similar but only the P pickup. When I was considering it, I did alot of research, and in summary most people agree its a solid P-bass and in the '83 era was just as good if not better than a Fender P. I was happily surprised at a smaller-than-I-expected body, very low weight. Mine is maple neck / body, and nails the "classic" P bass tone.

That is a steal for $150. Definitely worth it if you dig the bass. However it looks newer than '83, unless that has a newer Ibanez neck on it. I didn't think they went to "spiky 80's" necks until like '85. Dude on these forums Lazarus_Bird knows all about vintage Ibanez's.

If its all stock, definitely worth $150. If its a parts bass, its probably worth $150 as a playing bass, but no inherent collectors or resale value. I bet it sounds good though, like a classic passive PJ should.

6. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Yeah, Roadsters were only made for a couple years and ended around '82.

Pointy headstock puts this Roadstar in the late 80s. Looks like an Ibanez RB700. I would say this is likely an 87. Typically the serial number would tell you when it was manufactured, but that serial number puts this as a '74 which isn't possible. My guess is he read the number to you wrong and it actually starts as F87... etc. I believe this is one of the last Roadstars they made before switching to the Soundgear line.

"Better" is subjective. $150 is a great price for a good quality Japanese instrument. Ibanez basically used DiMarzio's or their own copies of DiMarzio's, so you can know what to expect from it tone wise. I personally am not a fan of the pointy headstocks and LOVE how some of these new Squier's look, but this is definitely a great bang-for-your-buck bass. And since it is GC, if you end up not liking it you can always return it!

7. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    That isn't what I'd call a Roadster bass. It looks like a TR series bass. Like the one here on the left, without the pickguard.

Is it worth $150? Definitely, provided you can tolerate the looks. That bass at GC is much older than 10 years, IMO

8. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    No it is definitely a Roadstar RB700. Compare it to this black RB700 from a magazine. Notice the positioning of the knobs and the exact same head stock style.

[​IMG]

9. matxlrose

matxlrose

Aug 6, 2012
    Thanks for the quick responses! I just ordered it and it should be here in 3-5 days. If I hate it I have 30 days to send it back. I'm crawling the walls with excitement! Thanks so much for the quick responses and helpful info. I'll let you guys know how it is!

10. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Here's a review some guy wrote about that bass: http://www.activebass.com/r7017--Ibanez-RB700-Roadstar

Only thing "odd" I see in the photo on GC is this should have an Accu-Cast bridge, and while it is difficult to see in the small image GC as posted, I don't see the rounded edge that the Accu-Casts have. It is either just an illusion in the small photo, or someone changed the bridge at some point (which is very well possible).

11. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    its $149. Buy it.

12. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I stand corrected!

13. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Also, I believe it's a Roadstar, not Roadster. I have a 1980 Roadstar and I almost bought one of these you're showing in 1988. It was kind of alike a transitional bass. I remember shortly after that they started looking very sleek and modern. I know you'll love it, I have 3 Ibby's! Congrats on your new bass!

14. It is a RoadSTAR. Every Roadster I have ever seen has the 2+2 tuner arrangement and the Dome headstock.
    There nevere was any RB700 RoadSTER, but there was certainly an RB700 RoadSTAR.
    As fara s the bridge. I have seen a lot of those black finished bridges on Ibanezes get all pitted and ugly from too much acidic sweat.
    (what can I say, I like coffee and I like it a lot)

15. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Obviously I made one typo. The rest of my posts including the original one are continuous with referring to the bass as a Roadstar.

16. not trying to be a joik. It just seemed like this thread was building up some momentum of misonfo about Roadster vs Roadstar. Balme Ibanez for using such similar confusing name. And why did it evolve from Roadster to Roadstar II to Roadstar?

17. matxlrose

matxlrose

Aug 6, 2012
    Hey Lazarus, did the place you got that pic have any info on the bass? After browsing the online Ibanez catalogs, I think that this is an '87 Roadbass. Guitar center has since taken the photo I posted down but mine looks an awful lot like this one. It should be here tomorrow so I guess I will find out for sure then.

EDIT: Never mind on the photo Lazarus. I found it. What makes you think it's a Roadstar 700 and not a Roadbass? After comparing both photos they look exactly the same to me. I'm hoping it's a roadstar though.

[​IMG]

18. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    [​IMG]

19. Weird, very transitional to be sure. I've owned several Roadstar's that look exactly like that. I'm thinking about buying a black one I saw at a music store last week. I've never seen one that says "roadster bass series" either.

20. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    RS-800, RS-900 and RS-980 had that headstock. They were made in '79 to '81 I think. Phil Lynott played an RS-900 for example. A great Stingray -like bass.