1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can anyone Identify this body wood??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Zeus_Mutation, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Zeus_Mutation

Zeus_Mutation

Feb 6, 2010
    Just picked up a P-Bass replica. Can anyone tell from the pictures what type of wood this might be? Also, does it look like two pieces versus a solid piece to you?? btw, There isn't a single marking anywhere to indicate a serial number...

Thank you!!

Attached Files:

2. Zeus_Mutation

Zeus_Mutation

Feb 6, 2010
    more pix

Attached Files:

3. Zeus_Mutation

Zeus_Mutation

Feb 6, 2010
    or seen pick ups like these??

Thanks again

Attached Files:

4. edt844

edt844

Sep 9, 2010
    Chalfont, PA
    Is the picture on the right showing lamination layers or grain?

5. Looks like your typical p-bass copy. I count at least 17 plys in that body. Not sure what wood it is (basswood or maybe agathis?) but it's definitley more than a 2 piece. And the pickups look like your everyday run-of-the-mill cheapo P-bass pickups to me, no distinguishing features to pinpoint to a certain pickup maker.

6. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I feel like I'm watching "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas"

7. Zeus_Mutation

Zeus_Mutation

Feb 6, 2010
    Yes, looks very layered and plywood like to me... Thanks for the feedback.

8. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Can we see a pic of the full bass, in real view not the 22 budwiser view please, also what make is it?

9. Zeus_Mutation

Zeus_Mutation

Feb 6, 2010
    So this is it... the body with everything but those pickups shown above. My American P-Bass pick guard doesn't cover properly, there are gaps at the tail end... for what its worth to ya?

Attached Files:

10. The 3+2 bridge screw configuration is interesting to me. I've seen 5+2 but I don't think I've seen 3+2 yet. I was going to suggest that it might be a Lotus p-bass when you mentioned that the tail end of your USA p-bass pickguard didn't cover well (my Lotus body is the same way) but now seeing the bridge screw hole layout I'm not sure.

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The wood is Plywoodius laminae.

12. Zeus_Mutation

Zeus_Mutation

Feb 6, 2010
    The local lumber yard guy said he thought it was Mahogany... but I just cant imagine its that, I looked at their supply of planks but didn't see those layered like markings at all? Plywood made sense...

13. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You can get plywood of Philippine mahogany (shorea). Also called luaun. That's what it looks like to me.

14. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    +1

15. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    It's most certainly plywood, lol. But that doesn't mean it can't be mahogany plywood. Also doesn't mean it can't sound good. Does it?

16. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I don't know what type of plywood they make the Gretsch Junior Jet out of, and it doesn't matter - it sounds great.

17. If it sounds good, and the wood is "hard" enough (i.e. no ovalling of holes) no problem. Unfortunately the neck pocket tends to tell me that it isn't very high density, so not very hard.

I like the double-pickguard screwholes by the neck pocket ;)