1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can anyone identify this Solid Body Full Scale Violin Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBassmaster27, Dec 12, 2018.

1. IMG_20181203_170329. What is this bass? She is a full scale solid body violin bass. Probably some asian lawsuit, but i'm looking to see if anyone has one remotely similar. If i can get my friend(a guitar player) to part with this, i may trade for it. But iv'e always wondered what exactly it is.

2. Looks like it has 23 frets. We need a pic that shows more bass and less arm.

Ghastly likes this.
  3. Alright. Sorry about that picture. I'm having the owner send me another.

4. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    I can only see 22 frets

Inara, jackn1202 and MonetBass like this.
  5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Whatever it it it's cool! Yes more pictures please!

6. How does it sound?

7. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Why is he playing it upside down?

instrumentalist likes this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    MAJOR METAL likes this.
  9. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    I've never seen a bass quite like this one, with its EB1 body, standard humbucker, and Hofner-style headstock.

10. bluespenny

bluespenny

Mar 17, 2009
    Bolt neck? What are the controls like?

11. I'm still working on the pictures. The sound of the bass is decent. The pots are a little dirty sounding if bumped or moved, but the bass is old and needs a few repairs. Still not sure if i'm getting it or not.. The electronics are two volumes one tone, and the pickups look like humbuckers(i say look like because sometime people have been known to put single coils under the covers. This is mostly with guitars from the matsumoku plant, but it's happened with basses too. ). I play it upside down because I play left handed. I may change the humbuckers if i get the bass, but i'm not quite sure if any drop in replacements exist. I checked for this bass in the violin bass gallery. Couldn't find it.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I've never seen that model before.

13. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    22 + zero fret

14. KillerEddie

KillerEddie

Aug 10, 2016
    Georgia
    Didn’t Aria make something like this back in the 80s? I seem to recall them making a solid body bass with this shape

15. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012

Yeah, but all the Japanese EB-1 copies that I've ever seen have had a scroll top headstock.

Of course, this bass that the OP is interested in might be a parts bass.

16. This is probably the answer.
    I mean if even TB doesn't know it...

17. DSCN0671.JPG DSCN0668.JPG DSCN0667.JPG DSCN0666.JPG DSCN0666.JPG DSCN0667.JPG DSCN0668.JPG DSCN0671.JPG DSCN0666.JPG DSCN0667.JPG DSCN0668.JPG DSCN0671.JPG DSCN0666.JPG DSCN0667.JPG DSCN0668.JPG DSCN0671.JPG

If anyone is still watching this, here are more pics. My friend actually gave me this for Christmas. It has been in and out of the shop getting some much needed repairs. But it's a great bass.

godofthunder59 and JACink like this.
  18. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Congrats on the new bass; that’s a good friend & a very cool present!!

I’m curious to see if someone can identify it. The headstock def seems inspired by Hofner, but the large screws in the trussrod cover make me think either a homemade project, or at least that part was replaced, but the binding looks pretty well done...
    Also, the body seems quite a bit wider (top to bottom) than a typical violin bass, by Gibson or Hofner. Just my probably useless observations - ha!

I’ll be watching to see what people come up with, and congrats on a unique bass!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  19. Somebody earned an "A" in shop class.

Bill Kron likes this.
  20. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Is it bolt-on or...?

My first thoughts are stripped and refined oddball, or maybe a repurposed Hofner neck on a home brew body...