1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I coil split a DiMarzio Split P pickup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkWeek, Jan 10, 2019.

1. DarkWeek

DarkWeek

Jan 10, 2019
    Each half is it's own humbucker, and I don't know enough about these specific pickups to be able to tell.

Also I can't seem to find any information anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. DarkWeek

DarkWeek

Jan 10, 2019
    Here is a picture of the pickup in question.

Attached Files:

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    DiMarzio has a "dual sound" wiring diagram for the Split P here.

4. DarkWeek

DarkWeek

Jan 10, 2019
    I have no idea what "Dual Sound" is. I just need to know if I can disable one of the blades per pickup with the push/pull of a pot.

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Sure, but why would you want to?

If you don't play on the D or G string, you're effectively disabling that half. ;)

lz4005 likes this.
  6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The "dual sound" is simply switching the coils from series (the normal way Precision PUPS are wired) to parallel.

You can wire it so you kill one coul, but because each coul senses only two strings you loose those two strings. It's not at all the same as switching out the dummy coil of a standard humbucker.

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    My band mates want to know if there is a way to wire this so the both sides go dead at the same time.

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That diagram looks to me like "Dual Sound" is switchable series/parallel connection options between the pickup halves.

Doesn't look to me like what you want to do is readily possible.

nolezmaj likes this.
  9. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Sheesh, guys. Read up on the product before responding...

OP, what you want is doable, AFAIK, but the complete pickup has only 4 conductors not 8, so you'd have to open each humbucking half and pull up the internal connections - which are, I'd venture to say, probably in parallel. How difficult the above is I couldn't say: certainly above my paygrade, and possibly yours. Looks like a job for a pro tech, or an experienced tinkerer at least.
    What I can do is suggest you open a mirror thread over at the Pickups & Electronics for Bass Guitar forum section, and do a forum search there (with "DiMarzio" and "split" as keywords) in the meanwhilez.
    I've just taken a look myself, and seen that the above suggestion to add a series-parallel switch (between the two half-pickups, not the two coils that each has) already has a supporter in one of our most knowledgeable posters, @walterw:
    and might be an easier way for you to get the tone you expect from the pickup, at the flick of a switch, without messing with the casings and internal wiring.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  10. DarkWeek

DarkWeek

Jan 10, 2019
    I sent an email to DiMarzio to get their "official" answer, and as per them "it's not possible".

Thanks for all the help guys!

sikamikanico likes this.
  11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    So, you're playing with Lars and James now?

12. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

13. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    No, it is not possible to coil tap the Split P

14. I think the OP wants to coil split, & the answer is still no.