1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Can I use 250k pots in a Warwick Rockbass Streamer std.?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thespoon, May 19, 2016.

1. thespoon

thespoon Cynically Optimistic

Hey all:

I tried posting this over on the Warwick forum with zero results.

Hopefully, some of the gurus here can put me some knowledge.

Apologies if this has been covered but a rudimentary search revealed nothing.

The tone pot in my 2013 Warwick Rockbass Streamer Standard 4 died recently, and I was wondering if replacing all of the no-name mini pots with Bourns 250K (which I have in hand) would work?

Currently both volumes are B25K, tone is A25K with a 220nF cap. [Warwick diagrams confirm these are standard from the factory]. Pups are MEC humbuckers.

If so, how would it sound? I should add that the current tone is acceptable. Just wondering what the effect would be without having to solder in the pots. Also, need I be concerned that I might damage the pups somehow?

Just to reiterate: This instrument is a passive bass. V/V/T controls, no battery.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Something doesn't sound right, 25k pots wont work on a passive instrument. There is way to little resistance to ground so you would lose alot of output.

Are you sure its a 220nf and not a 22nf capacitor? That would be a .022uf cap which is pretty standard. 220nf would be a .22uf cap which would get really dark when you roll the tone off.

3. thespoon

Well, those imaginative Germans have figured out a way to make the impossible, possible. Sort of like bumblebees. On paper it is impossible for them to fly. Yet, there they are.

Attached is the schematic from Warwick. Notation:"passive electronic for passive pickups".
    I have verified those components are in my bass with the Mark I/II Eyeball.
    And, yes, other than the tone pot being defective, it plays.

100_1328.JPG
    RB126.jpg

Attached Files:

superheavyfunk likes this.
  4. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    If it works, then a replacement in kind should still work, someone smarter than I am will have to explain it to me. I would be tempted to try it with 250k pots and a .047uf tone cap to see if it opens up some tone and output that you didn't have before.

5. thespoon

I am with you, this is the first time I have seen 25ks in a passive instrument.

Output is plenty strong. Louder than my passive Fender PJ with Geezer Butler pups.

Before I got out the solder iron, I wanted to be sure I would not be frying anything.
    Thanks for your replies.

6. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Well, you couldn't hurt anything either way. It just may not sound good.

7. 25k pots indicates that you have a low impedance signal path. While this is uncommon, it's nothing too special, design-wise.

The use of 250k pots with a low impedance signal will result in on/off switch behavior, with no usable taper. The pots won't have any range, and will just got from 0 to 10 almost instantly.

8. thespoon

I suppose my next question should be: does anyone have a source for high quality 25k pots? I'd like to keep my Gibson speed knobs, so split shaft is preferred. Found lots of solid shafts on Amazon for some reason. Or, tell me how to adapt the solid shafts to my existing knobs.

9. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Is it the MEK pickups that are low impedance? I haven't ever seen a low impedance passive pickup

10. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I didn't dig too deep, but I found a long shaft pot
    http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Threaded-Bushing-Allparts-EP-4645-000/dp/B002MVKHAI

11. thespoon

12. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    I am surprised at the minimal feedback loop about a Rockbass.
    I'm fairly confident Warwick has sold more than a dozen Rockbasses, asked a question about pots in a $$ and I got nothing.
    I am also curious about the truss rod in the newer 2nd gen Rockbasses and did not bother to ask, figured I would get no answers.
    Not sure if folks with "real" Warwicks can't be bothered or if all the Rockbass owners are beginners that have no knowledge to share.

13. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I think its most likely just an issue of it not being a very common bass.

14. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    So, Warwick doesn't sell many Rockbasses?

15. MEK pickups are usually active, and hence, low impedance.

As for passives, Gibson used to make some.

16. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I didn't know that a low impedance pickup would work without a buffer. I thought the output would be rather low.

17. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I've yet to have a Warwick, much less a Rockbass come through my shop. They are not that common, especially outside of TB

18. Have a 5'er myself (see pic to the immediate left), but never had a single problem with it. Other than the straplocks that is. Also, FWIW, output on mine is way lower than any of my other basses (all passive).

19. thespoon

True. It is anything but.

Common bass:

I wonder what the scale is.

striped bass.JPG

Nice left-hand technique there..

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  20. yustech

yustech

Mar 2, 2015
    Hello thespoon,I know this thread is a long time ago.I need to know more info about your RB especially each of the MEC pickup DC resistance value.PM me if you have it.

Thanks
    yustech

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021