1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I use my Seinheiser 835 on my computer?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JUSTINKP, Jan 25, 2012.

1. JUSTINKP

JUSTINKP

Mar 15, 2011
    I was wondering if I bought an XLR to 1/8" mic cable, or one of the XLR to USB cables out there, if I can use my Seinheiser E835 vocal mic to record vocals on my computer with pro tools?

Thanks guys.

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    You should be able to. It doesn't require Phantom Power.

3. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    I think not.........even if you get an adapter to work, there is no mic pre amp in a computer sound card, the impedance will be wrong effecting the mic's sound and the level to low.

Get an interface that has a pre amp and the correct low impedance XLR jack.

4. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There is a kind of catch 22 here. You can, but will it sound good? Probably not without an interface like uhdinator said.

5. JUSTINKP

JUSTINKP

Mar 15, 2011
    What kind of interface are you guys suggesting? I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want something crappy either.

I obviously need the mic into my computer in order to add vocals to songs I've already recorded. Right now for the guitars and Bass I've used a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to my line in port of my iMac. I put the instruments at a low volume, and amplify them through the pro tools mixer board. Sounds great, but I was worried about the mic sounding good that way, and you guys suggest the interface as well.

Thanks for the help so far. If you could maybe help me out with an audio interface, that would be great too.

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    If you have FireWire, M-Audio and PreSonus have several small, 2-channel interfaces that will do the trick nicely.

7. if you are running pro tools, dont you need a pro tools friendly interface to get ANY audio in? ive never tried to use the build in mic input, nor have i heard of it attempted. likely because its such a bad idea.

8. I'm fairly sure they took that out one or two version ago.

9. its been a while since ive bothered with pro tools, but it was my understanding that since they think they have the monopoly on the digital recording realm, they made all their systems proprietary with their interfaces.

if they've changed that, then they get a little more respect in my book. and as soon as they start giving out free plugins, i might give their ugly program a chance :p

10. JUSTINKP

JUSTINKP

Mar 15, 2011
    I've always used the mic-in for pro tools for my instrument recording and it works well. What about running a direct box and running the xlr into it and a 1/4 out with a 1/8 adapter on the end to fit my mic-in.

11. I like two mics on a computer. An SDC near the keyboard for click and a ribbon back in the room. Mix and compress until warm and punchy.

12. Jake Saint

Jake Saint

Dec 31, 2011
    Mine Hill, NJ
    actually, if he went the USB route, it would work just fine.