1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can someone explain EQ to a bass newbie?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DioMANOWARDio, Dec 25, 2011.

1. DioMANOWARDio

DioMANOWARDio

Dec 4, 2011
    I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this under so i apologise in advance.

I just don't understand EQ i havn't been playing bass for long so i apologise for my ignorance. if someone could explain it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Run it flat. Boost the frequencies by either boosting them or cutting the others. Less is more with EQ. Flat is a good starting point. Pay attention to the low mids.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    EQ means equalize. It refers to tone settings. Old amps usually just had a bass and a treble tone knobs. New amps sometimes have sliders. This is also called a graphic eq.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Although this video I recently did focus on an specific amp and a very personal approach to bass tone, I think the guidelines I give there may help you to understand bass EQ. Hope it helps. :)

5. Nekroid

Nekroid

Dec 21, 2011
    San Benito, Texas
    every bassist has different opinions about EQ and different settings that they like and don't like.. let me start with how i eq my bass sound...

my bass amp has a low-pass knob at 100hz, and a high-pass knob at 10khz.. i set these first, then i use the ten-band graphic EQ to fine tune.. after all that.. i write down my settings and leave them the same every where i play, and then i'll fine tune it more based on the size of the venue and position of my bass amp..

my multi-effects bass pedal has a 6 band eq on it, so i can further fine tune my sound... my favorite bass sound is to cut out some of the eq around the 2,000hz to 5,000hz range.. and boost the highs in the 6,000 to 10,000hz range, for a nice metal sound, if i'm playing primarily on the lower strings..
    when i play solos/tap i like to boost those 2khz to 5khz range and cut out more of the 6khz to 10khz to give my hammer-ons and pull-offs more noticeable..

and well the low end depends ALOT on the amp, cause certain speaker sizes/amps resonant frequencies different from other speaker sizes/amps.. mine tends to resonant quite a bit around 500hz to 600hz.. so i tone that down a bit.. and then i boost the low lows around 50hz to about 250hz.. what i usually try to do is make all the notes have the same volume and to cut down on resonation..

it can take a while to get used to eq'ing anything to achieve that perfect sound.. but just play around with it alot. max out or cut out certain frequencies/knobs/sliders so you get a feel for what that frequency/knob/slider can add or subtract from your bass sound.. that's what i usually do. it helps alot..