1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can someone recognize this cab at all?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jojers, Nov 12, 2018.

1. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    No one has asked how it sounds. Do you like it? If you do it's a good cab.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Generic 15" cabinet common of many low price brands that sell the cheapest speaker like product possible. There are maybe 100 such brands, some domestic but many are from Asia.

Passinwind and dukey donkey like this.
  3. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    My first bass amp was a Hot Cabs 110 combo back in ‘94.

dukey donkey likes this.
  4. Zoolion

Zoolion

Oct 31, 2014
    None
    I'm going to guess KMD from the eighties when Kaman decided to market their own line of amplifiers.

5. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I don't think so, KMD cabinets were all vinyl covered. I don't remember any with rat fur.

6. rohi

rohi Lead Lined Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Looks like Avatar hardware, but that's about it. Looks heavy too

7. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

looks like the empty cabinets you find at the swap meet, as DJ boxes or Truck Bed / Trunk boxes... Particle Board construction

Steve Dallman likes this.
  8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Bingo, "Your Name Here" brand speaker like boxes ;)

juancaminos and Steve Dallman like this.
  9. Take it to the Janky Rigs of Doom thread. There it will be given full recognition and a passport to the Republic of Janky Doom.

agedhorse, two fingers and wave rider like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    And take THIS to the accidental band names thread. :D

mikewalker likes this.
  11. Bigbri

Bigbri

Aug 4, 2015
    It looks like it's sealed. If so, I'm going with home made.

12. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    This thread is driving me crazy since it was posted because when I worked in a music store in the mid-nineties I know we had a cabinet or subwoofer in our store that looked very much like this one, but I can't for the life of me figure out who made it. The lack of any identifying hardware on yours makes me think someone copied that design in a home-made version, though. Usually there'd be some sort of brand stamped into one of those metal pieces somewhere- most likely the back plate.

13. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

I think it's a very well home-built sealed cab. It looks a lot like some of the cabs that I built back in the late 80's just for fun. But that isn't one of mine.
    If it sounds good, and you don't mind hauling it, just play the heck out of it. What's in a name anyway?

14. GBarnstable

GBarnstable

Apr 12, 2015
    The cab reminds me of the Genz Benz cabs I had in the late '90s and early '00s.

15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    There used to be music/pro audio rental companies that made they’re own speaker enclosures. Most of them also had they’re own “sound companies” as well. They generally built basic, rugged, generic speaker enclosures. I think around here more of them used flat/satin black finishes, not carpet as the black is easier to touch up and maintain. I also don’t remember seeing a lot of sealed box designs, and most of them had surface mount handles.
    The mishmash of parts on this cab make me think more of a super cheap retail or homemade job. I had a single 15” PAS cab that was similar to this, it was a long time ago but I know it was narrower and possibly taller and probably ported.

16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Nothing at all like the Genz Benz cabinets. We didn't use those car audio grilles and we always used a larger radius roundover. We never made a sealed bass cabinet either. (assuming that's really sealed and not ported on the back).