Can someone teach something??????

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Nilmar, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    Can anyone out there give me advice of how to fret easily.... i have trouble fretting.... when i change to the other note.... i took a long pause to fret the next note? Are there anyway i can fret and pick my pick easily???? Please give me someone advice on how can i learn to fret and pick quickly..... :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    How long have you been playing? It might behoove you to find a teacher in your area and start lessons...

As far as fretting... When playing, place your hand on the the neck and fan your fingers out slightly over the fretboard with your thumb on the back alighned along your middle finger.... It's easier to fret notes when your fingers are already in a position to fret.. For example.. I pick up my bass and place my fretting (left) hand in the above position.. I play a "G" on the "E" string (third fret) with my middle finger. Because of my hand positioning I can run through the entire Gmaj scale with minimal travel on the left hand:

G (tonic): middle
    A (second): pinkie
    B (third): index
    C (forth): middle
    D (fifth): pinkie
    E (sixth): index
    F# (seventh): ring
    G (octave): pinkie

This left hand technique makes note transitions very fluid.

Picking fast is a simple matter of practice.. Start out slowly and work up speed gradually.. Use a metronome.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Teacher & Practice - that's it!! ;)
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    that's your answer to EVERYTHING jeez bruce, be creative for a change
  6. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Ditto on practicing and getting a teacher lol. :)

When I was reading your thread I got the feeling maybe you are having trouble with coordination, picking and fretting at the same time? As the zen guitarist says: "Even though one hand is fretting the strings and the other is striking them, you must not think of each hand individually. They are part of the same whole." It's all about taking things slowly and focusing on both hands equally.

Now you can take the G scale that Progzilla mentioned in his post and try your hand at playing it slowly at first, making sure your finger is right behind the fret - not in the middle or on top of it.

Hope this helps,
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Another thought occurs to me here that may be interfering with your difficulties fretting.

1. The action on your bass strings may too high for you. If your strings are too high off the fretboard, they are much harder to fret. Some bass players actually prefer high action, but not every bass player is comfortable with it.

2. You may be using strings that are too heavy a guage for you. Lighter guage strings are easier to fret and to pick also.

3. Your fretboard may be too wide for your hand. If that is the case, the wide fretboard will slow down your fretting, though not have so much impact on your picking. I had one bass that I eventaully sold which had very wide frets. It took a much wider stretch of my fingers to cover four frets than on my Tobias which is much more comfortable for me.

4. Your fingers will be able to stretch more with time and consistent practice. Helpful drills can increase your fretting speed. Also fretboard familiarization increases speed. Often just that split second hesitation of thinking where to put your fingers next will slow you down.

5. Cross string drills both for fretting and picking help increase speed. You do need to develop facility with string crossing. Don't be one of those bassists who plays everything on just the E string.

I think it is Michael Manring who has a drill for beginners in which you play open strings--do not fret, but you pick on the E string twice; then pick on the E string; then move to the A string and pick that. Then you pick on the E string, then move to the D string and pick that. Then you pick on the E string and then move to the G string and pick that.

When you can do that with proficiency, you can start mixing up the drill. For example. Pick on the A string, then pick on the G string, then pick on the D string, etc. There are dozens of variations.

Once you have picking confidence, then fret notes on each string instead of playing open strings while you pick.

Another thing I suggest is using a metronome for these drills. Start REALLY slow. Build up speed gradually. Accuracy is more important than speed until you gain confidence and agility.