Can virtual games help you with instrument?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Kanan Hanna, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Kanan Hanna

Kanan Hanna

Feb 23, 2018
    Arizona
    Hi Guys,

s I was searching for an electric guitar for me, I came across with this virtual games about piano. To be honest one of the games is being played by my niece, I then wondered if virtual games like this can help young children to play with real instrument?

Oh here are the list of the virtual games that I found on an article,
    Virtual Piano Games

2. They should practice on their instrument instead of playing games methinks.

3. tonequixote

tonequixote

Feb 6, 2004
    Maine
    Why anyone would waste precious moments of this life pretending to do something when they could actually be doing it is beyond me.
    To each their own I suppose.

Francois Blais and saabfender like this.
  4. Of course. Not all aspects of playing, of course, but it can be very helpful. And, if it helps kids practice, even better.

5. dJaxon

dJaxon

Aug 23, 2018
    Pretty good list of virtual games for music. My 4 years old and his playmate starting to show interest in playing instruments. I'll just finish installing the new rack and bakflip tonneau covers on the truck and I'll move some stuff at the basement into the garage for space for them to play.

6. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    This is no more effect an instructional tool for teaching youngsters piano than Guitar Hero/Rock Band is for learning electric guitar. Sorry.

Francois Blais and wathaet like this.
  7. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Any metronomic activity (including Guitar Hero) can help people to be more metronomic. But many people don't approach it that way -- games tend to get players caught up in a series of separate momentary targets rather than a fixed rhythmic pattern.

Participation in any process can help someone to realize that becoming a musician is a process, and that can help to increase patience and decrease tension. But a lot of people, especially kids, aren't open to that. Part of moving from kid to adult is realizing that there are processes in life and that participation in most processes is a long-term, up-and-down endeavor.

Beyond that there is the random element.
    Anything can help somebody to become a better musician.
    Washing dishes can help somebody to become a better musician.
    Most people are not that somebody.

damonsmith and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  8. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I do think there is some sort of benefit to playing video games in general and playing an instrument. Agile thinking, hand/eye coordination, problem solving. But virtually playing an instrument does seem a little counter intuitive. I'm more so talking video games in general.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    ^^^^Beautifully put.

This speaks to my experience studying three different martial arts (with far more enthusiasm than skill, I must admit) over a period of about 10 years. I didn't end up becoming a great martial artist, but I learned a ton about how the body works and how skill is acquired by focused practice and repetition; all of that, I believe, has made me a much better musician than I would have been otherwise, and I wouldn't trade that experience for the world.

10. Ult1mat3X

Ult1mat3X

May 6, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    Games could help to learn basics and probably improve your memory in terms of knowledge, but in terms of the skill - you must practice with real instruments!

11. I think practicing music with real instruments develops brain and motor skills, via focused practice and repetition, which betters us for everything else (sports, dance, athletics, martial arts, anything.) Many "office cubicle" adults struggle to break a complicated series of moves down to smaller chunks, practice them slowly and perfectly, then speed each chunk up and combine the chunks together. Good musicians do it easily. Being a musician can make you better at all the other things.

Video games are poor substitutes for the real 4D life we live. Kids who play with digital blocks on an iPad learn less than kids who play with physically real blocks.

Get kids real musical instruments of the appropriate size and quality for them. They will learn and develop much more than using a touchpad. The keyboard apps you mentioned are very useful for people on the go who want to use the musical keyboard to hear notes, and they have the multi-function tablet with them, but not a physical keyboard. But they will practice on a physical keyboard at home (either digital or acoustic).

12. I would say nothing to put any stock into. You might notice certain things come of it way later, likely artist and stylistic things, nothing foundational.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021