Can you ignore and walk away from a great bass at a great price even though you don't need it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B-Mac, Aug 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

I am having G.A.S. for an awesome bass that I figured I can't afford because of the usual price that it sells for. However, I just saw it at a really great price, but honestly I just bought a few other basses and need to pace myself so I'm spending cash rather than using plastic.

The bass' MSRP is usually around $2,500 and the street price brand spanking new is usually $1,999. Used prices are usually around $1,500.

I am looking at a used one that is only a year or so old with no dings or scratches for $999 with an original hard shell case and it is driving me bonkers. I usually don't even think about re-sale to make money, but this is just really wearing on me. What would you do?

I haven't revealed the identity of the bass on purpose because I am hoping no one buys it right away so I can eventually buy it!

Wisebass and MCF like this.
  2. If you have the money, the go for it.

I'm regretting missing out on a few great deals over the past month or so.

3. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Buahaha! Now you've got GAS!
    This is not the support group you're looking for! :D

4. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    Not to be a buzzkill, but's not a great deal if you don't need it. It's not gonna play itself.

Bodeanly, dannydabiker, B-Mac and 8 others like this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b2.png :laugh:

glad it's you and not me!

seriously: i need nothing: no basses, no gear, not even strings, but: i can imagine that certain deals might lure me into being stupid. yeah, probably the wrong place to come for discouragement or rational advice. good luck battling your GAS! :thumbsup:

6. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    "Can you ignore and walk away from a great bass at a great price even though you don't need it?"

Yes. Without breaking a sweat, or a second thought.
    But that's just me. I seem to be naturally endowed with a the rare, and seldom spoken of, "GAS-less" gene.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I could walk away from anything not as good as my two favorites.

8. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Nope. I recently bought my 7th bass solely because it was a great deal. Granted, it's one of my absolute favorite models and is a rare color, but I 100% didn't need it. Just really wanted it and the price was too low to ignore.

Mantis Tobaggan, dralionux and B-Mac like this.
  9. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I would buy it and if it wasn’t that great or I didn’t bond with it I would move it for 0 loss or small profit.

B-Mac likes this.
  10. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think if you couldn’t pull the trigger right away, even though it’s a great deal, you know it’s not the right time for you.

B-Mac likes this.
  11. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    I'm capable, but it's definitely hard...
    Now that I've been playing for a little while and know what types of things I like in a bass, it's really hard to walk away from something that fits the bill, especially when it's priced right.
    But in my case, it comes down to responsibilities lol. Only if I can handle all the important stuff, and still have some "utility" that won't be detrimental to any account if it's not there... will I splurge on an instrument.
    Otherwise, I can rationalize and pull myself away.

In your case, if everything's taken care of, the bass is the apple of your eye, and you've got the cash, why not?

B-Mac likes this.
  12. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    If it's that good. . . get it.

Then sell the other basses you bought. The ones you no longer need because you just bought the most awesome bass.

13. mike57

mike57

Feb 12, 2009
    Our Fair City, MA
    Yes.

I don't GAS for basses anymore. I love the two I have, and don't really have room to keep anymore than that.

Now if we're talking pedals...

B-Mac likes this.
  14. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Apparently the answer is NO. :D Meet bass #11 in my collection.
    C92306C5-2C32-40ED-AB1B-D91AC9A0B9F5.jpeg

Root 5, BassFace13, Engle and 7 others like this.
  15. B-Mac

Problem is I’m a 42 now....but the price...I’ll probably never see this bass at a price like this again

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  16. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Then grab it. I'd put money on the lack of ridicule you'll receive here.

B-Mac and Obese Chess like this.
  17. JBW

JBW

Dec 18, 2010
    Missouri
    One of many reasons for having a healthy savings account is so you can jump on those perfect deals when they present themselves, and not go into debt. I bought a 1965 Hammond B3 last year for $2,000. I am only the second owner.

B-Mac, Obese Chess, Ewo and 3 others like this.
  18. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Inactive

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    walked away from plenty upon plenty for my #1. i absolutely hardly care about any other bass than it

Muddslide and B-Mac like this.
  19. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I can't decide if that is as bad or worse than not having a libido!

B-Mac likes this.
  20. B-Mac

Need? It’s all about want. Being seduced by wood, steel, electronics, curves, binding, inlays....I got it bad!

LYNCHMAN, Mantis Tobaggan and chris_b like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021