1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you read music?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Frettage, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Yes, I can read musical notation.

263 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. No, I can only read tab.

41 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. I can't understand either one.

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. oh i love that play! we did it when i was in school. i keep wondering where i can find the mp3's to its music done by some one. cant find anything much........... any dream will do!

2. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I just have a Broadway cast recording on CD.

I'm currently teaching one of the songs to a student who is also one of the "brothers" so that he and another brother can come over and grab instruments from the pit and play "One More Angel in Heaven" cowboy style 'round a campfire.

3. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    My better gigs both playing and pay wise were reading gigs.

4. Not pathetic at all, I've been playing for nearly 30 years and I started sight reading when I started playing, but in typical school Jazz band, everything was written on the trebel clef back then and after a few years in bands I just stopped sight reading outright and started doing everything by ear.

So I'm just now getting back in to sight reading exercises and also having to learn everything again using the proper bass clef notation. :)

Point is, it's never too late to learn. :bassist:

5. heatheroo

heatheroo

May 22, 2008
    Ephrata PA
    I haven't read the whole thread but if you want to improve your sight reading, I suggest Simandl Double Bass Etudes. They start off fairly easy and progress to ridiculous. It will also give you some cool ideas for your next solo.....

6. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    Been reading almost exactly as long as I've been playing an instrument.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Fluent sight reader.

8. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    Not exactly a guitar forum, but here's a guitar-focused survey from another forum I frequent:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=243&topic=53003308

It's a little mixed but the for the most part everyone that answered the question plays guitar. There, about one is every three guitar players people can read (out of 30 respondents).

9. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Yes.

10. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    i can read tabs without a problem....but im going to get into sheet music soon!

11. I can read music, but I'm kinda slow at it. I can't just glance at it and know immendently what's going on.

12. I can read music in four clefs.

The only reason I know how to read music is because I never realised until I decided to play praise and worship that church teams nearly always sheet. So I had to learn in FOUR hours how to read music.

I can sight-read a lot of praise and worship, but haven't tried it for any other genre.

13. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I can read standard notation, but I'm really slow. I was an okay sight-reader 15 or 20 years ago, but I'm a wreck now.

I can still read the notes, though. As for tab, I've only ever used it to learn technical exercises because it indicates exact hand positioning, but I would never try to sight-read it.

90% of the situations I'm in require reading charts, which I'm fine with, or just listening hard and hanging on tight!

14. Jakeob

Jakeob

Apr 27, 2009
    Colorado
    I CAN read music but am not amazing at it. It's pretty much the same as trying to decipher it I suppose. However, put a tab in front of me and I can play it.

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Insult & blaspheme music uses the same clefs. :D

16. lycanbreed7

lycanbreed7

Dec 19, 2009
    When I started learning the bass a "friend" (guitar player) told me don't bother with learning to read TABS is aaaallll you need. Ya right, I took that advice for about a year. Just didn't make sense not to learn it. Now that I've started, it's really not as hard as I thought it would be.

17. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I learned to play and read bass clef at the same time. I'm rusty, but I still read OK.

TAB is irritatingly unmusical to me.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    semi-fluent sightreader here. bach cello suites or giant steps i can't sightread, but i can sightread most popular music charts i get.

19. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I can read standard notation, bass and treble clef. I am a slow sight reader and would not be performance quality on a sight read.

Not a fan of tabs, I prefer notes.

Chord charts are easy for me. Most of what I do is improv over chords.

20. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    I can play from notated music and chord sheets well enough to take on gigs with guys I never played with and music I never heard before. Technically complex stuff I have to study before I can play it.

Learning to sightread requires a determined start and to keep doing it. For he first steps you'll need lots of determination and stamina. But after a couple of weeks of serious training you'll be fine. Later on, if you stop playing from notated music for a long time, you'll loose a lot of ground. So it's important to start using notated music in the bands you are in.

Sightreading not just about reading, but also about playing. If you can't play without watching your fretting hand you can never learn to play on sight.

A good sight reader ia able to read ahead a little. This is important to see the need to shift positions coming up.