1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you tell me about this DB?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Barbaric.Eric, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Hey gang,
    A family friend is purging some things and part of that purge is a double bass that's being offered for really cheap. I know it's not anything special, but are any of you guys able to tell me about this (good things, bad things, areas that will need repair, overall size, brand, general info)?

Image-6.jpg

I've already asked ahead and I literally have no info other than this one photo, no stickers, no stamps, nil. And I have zero knowledge beyond electric basses so I don't really know what I'm looking at here.

I've always wanted to try double bass so maybe this would be a good foot in the door since they can get very expensive, very quick when purchasing from a music shop but I also don't have much space in my current home (a basement) so I can't just be buying this just because it's available.

Thanks in advance,
    E

2. What ever it is, it’s got vibe man. Looks beautiful. Even with that odd stain on the belly.

zon6c-f and Barbaric.Eric like this.
  3. If you can’t see it in person, (preferably with a double-bass player with you), my advice would be to leave it alone!

Even if it was free and had no major issues, the cost of making it playable and not an ornament might be hundreds of dollars more than it’s worth.

Just my 2 cents

4. It's definitely unique. I've never seen such a light wood used on a DB, it almost looks unstained (aside from the stain you mentioned haha). Thanks for chiming in :)

DonaldFraser likes this.
  5. Unfortunately I don't have a DB playing friend close, and with this being located back home near my parents, I likely won't see it in person until I stop by to purchase it. The price is definitely right even if it's just to strip it for parts, but then again I don't know what I'm looking at and if the tuning machines, bridge, etc would be worth the trip and hassle. Regardless, thanks for the advice.

6. It may have had the finish sanded off to match the decore around it. Not having a lacquered finish will free the wood to vibrate a bit. The fingerboard appears to be maple which will give you a warmer tone. The bridge looks like the slots might be cut way deep.
    I would request more pictures etc. There may be a mark on the tail piece or the heel that someone here recognize..

Barbaric.Eric likes this.
  7. Homespun.

DonaldFraser and Barbaric.Eric like this.
  8. True, the bridge does look cut pretty deep. Man, I wish I had the opportunity to see it in person, and it's strung so plucking around a few notes would be helpful too. Is the tailpiece generally where branding and factory markings are usually found on DBs? Similar to how an acoustic usually has the sticker inside the sound hole?

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    This is not good information.

10. :nailbiting:

:)
    Well wether or not it is I speak from experience. I removed a lacquer finish,not a stain, from an old Engle em-1 and it sounded a bit better.

11. @Barbaric.Eric yep, there might be some marking in those areas . But @KUNGfuSHERIFF says homespun, and he’s generally spot on.

Like I said ask for pictures. It could go along way.

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It also frees the wood to greater adverse reaction to weather, humidity and temperature. All of which can lead to cracks (on a carved bass) and delamination (on a plywood bass).

13. True, but I also re-stained it to avoid those issues. I just didn’t like the plastic looking lacquer finish. I know better than to leave wood completely untreated:thumbsup:

14. I tried once already, but I'll press again for more info. Hopefully, something (anything) more from them would be nice, as all they did was send one pic and a price. Thanks again everyone, it's all helpful info for a DB noob like me.

DonaldFraser likes this.
  15. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Tuning machines, headstock, strange standoff thing attached to the bottom? My first impression is BSO decoration, but I wanna see what you find out.

dan1952 and DonaldFraser like this.
  16. Reading the stickies at the top of the Basses forum will help you.

Double basses are rarely ‘branded’, unless Kay etc.

Maple is not a good wood for a fingerboard.

This may well be a BSO*

*Bass Shaped Object, also known as a Money-Pit.

dan1952 and DonaldFraser like this.
  17. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    Looks to be completely stripped. Most likely a BSO at this point. A modern Chinese bass would be a better bet, IMHO.

18. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Yeah. Pegbox looks over-long; neck heel looks over-high.

19. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Strongly disagree - it’s no ebony, but still perfectly serviceable

DonaldFraser likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021