1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you turn a short scale into a long scale bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by M1CK13, Dec 7, 2011.

1. So I still have my first bass, Squier Bronco (basically a Squier Mustang bass) which had a 30.5" scale neck on it...well the neck snapped and I've always been curious if I could put a fender jazz neck on it? I'm modding the bass to kinda make it unique with an EMG active humbucker pickup, Badass II Bridge, Schaller tuners, and of course and more punk/grunge finish...but can i just put a long scale fender neck in the neck joint or will i have to have the body shaved?

2. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't know whether the neck pocket dimensions are the same, but I suspect that at minimum you'd have to move the bridge back to make the change. And after all that I'd think it would be VERY neck heavy. Honestly for what you're looking to do you'd be much better off starting with a different bass, or starting from scratch with a body built to be a 34 scale.

3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I'm pretty sure someone on the board has done this before.

4. you might be better off with a 32 scale

5. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Technically, as long as you can achieve 34" between the bridge saddles and the nut, everything else can be made to fit. But don't expect it to be a simple, drop-in replacement. Also, as stated above, the bass won't balance properly on a strap and the pickup location won't be exactly the same as a p-bass.

It wouldn't be too difficult to have a replacement Mustang neck made to your specs along with a custom Bronco pickup.

6. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    See the link in post #14 of this thread

But I would think you will get a good amount of neck dive.

Warmoth makes both a 30" and 32" scale neck, that might be another option.

7. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    Also not sure if the BA-II bridge will fit.