1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can't decide which teacher.. Need help..

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Infidelity, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Instructor 1

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Instructor 2

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Both

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I'm in between two instructors.. They charge the same price and live close to me..

The first instructor is a famous bassist of a band on my hometown.. His band is on the top 40 bands in our country.. Very respectable band and can speak my own language fluently which is a plus.. I'm not sure about if he studied bass formally but he is good.. *I'll post videos later*

Second instructor is a guy who studied bass in berklee for about a year and a year in indiana music school.. I can post his music too..

Reccommendations.? I haven't tried getting lessons w/ both of instructor but I'm really interested in these two instructors.. :)

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    What's your playing level? I ask because if you're relatively new to the bass, I'd go with the guy who speaks your language and has the playing history you're familiar with. If you're a more advanced player, I'd go with the guy who studied music at school...

3. Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I'm not sure what's my current level but I can say intermediate..

I can play this songs..
    Rush - YYZ (shabby)
    Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke
    Most of RHCP songs
    Recently played - YMCA
    (I might include the band 'bamboo' too.. It's a band from my hometown.. But the bass lines is good also.. List of their songs 'hallelujah' and 'probinsyana')

I mostly played by ear now.. But I used to be a tab dependant person..

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'd go with whichever one will teach you to read. This will make the single biggest difference to your development as an all-round musician, imo.

Maybe they both will?

5. Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    for realz, Actually that was my main goal and the cause of taking some formal lessons.. Coz' I can't read music that well..

Here's the video/music though

Teacher 1

6. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    They both sound like interesting guys - I'd maybe get a lesson or two with each and then decide which one is taking you where you want.

Could you take a minute and fill out your profile for us by clicking the "My TalkBass" link at the top left of the page? Thanks.

7. Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I already did sir.. But which instructor do you think would be better for me.?

8. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Thanks for that.

I think you probably have more information on which to decide on a teacher than we do. But maybe it could be a massive help to have someone who speaks your first language? What is that, by the way? Your English seems very good if this is not your main language of everyday conversation.

9. Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Well, yeah I can speak english quite well.. Since I work in hospitals I'm kinda used to it.. Maybe I need more suggestions but the second guy is more likely the ideal teacher for me.. Since that teacher surely know what he is doing as an instructor.. He studied with Lenny Stallworth and Danny Morris too..

10. you need to get more info on them i think, whats their main style of music, how long they have been teaching, who can you get along with better etc

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if those guys teach like they play, i wouldn't have a problem taking lessons off either one of them. they both play like they're going to school you in proper fundamentals and get your reading together, etc. just take lessons off both of them ;)

12. Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    So it would be really trial and error?

13. Just curious, but what are you really hoping to focus on or get the most out of at your lessons? I'm hoping for some lessons soon but an still unsure what to look for.

14. Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Improvisation, Music Theory and Technique..

15. which guy is most likely to lay out a methodical approach....the best players are not always the best teachers,and many are not interested in teaching.....

take a lesson or two from both,figure out who will be the best "teacher" and then let him teach.....

16. Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    added a poll.. :)

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i voted both, but honestly it's silly to decide on a teacher by talkbass consensus. we know nothing about either of those guys except their internet output.

18. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    I've got to compliment you on your chops. Do you know why those lines are played though? Can you come up with your own? If not, the second guy is the way to go.

19. Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I can but it sounds weird for me.. I'm quite interested in the 2nd guy too.. Thanks for the advice.. :)

Currently Transcribing: Stu Hamm - Sleigh Ride