1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can't record Amplitube into Audacity

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Technotitclan, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    So my wife just bought me a MacBook Pro 13" so that I can practice and record in my free time while not at home. I have a decent recording setup at home so I don't have this issue there because its set up differently. My problem is that I can't get Audacity to record from Amplitube rather than directly from the line in. I've tried searching all of the interwebs and most of the other people that run into this issue either didn't get an answer or gave up and found some other solution involving hardware I don't have access too.

The setup is my bass plugged directly into my MacBook. No DI's, interfaces, pedals, nothing. Just a 4' 1/4" - 1/4" plus a 1/4-1/8 adapter.

Only answer I've found is to enable a setting in Audacity called "enable other tracks while recording". I Haven't had a chance to try that yet today and will later. I just wanted to know if anyone here knows for sure how to get it working. Thanks for your help.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Have you tried running it in GarageBand?

3. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    It didn't come with GarageBand installed and because its used it doesn't have the applications disc to install it. They offer it for something like $15 to download which isn't bad honestly. But don't want to put any money into it without trying it.

I did try finding the setting to get Audacity to record it but still could not get it to work.

For the record (in case anyone in the future has this issue and stumbles upon this thread) I found a solution. I installed Reaper and used the Amplitube VST in it to get it working and its working great. I was a little put off by Reaper at first because the layout is a little different from what I'm used to (Audacity and Ableton) but a few tutorials on YouTube got me on my feet and I'm really enjoying Reaper.

I think the biggest trouble I had with Reaper is that I'm a heavy user of keyboard shortcuts, I use them for EVERYTHING, and I'm trying to get over the learning curve of Mac's keyboard shortcuts while learning new software at the same time. Despite that though I am really enjoying recording on my Mac and will prolly never record on Windows again.