1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can't record my bass using audacity.. help!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Gidzkun, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Gidzkun

Gidzkun

May 16, 2010
    hey guys, I just want to ask about recording my bass using audacity.. ok so this is what I did:

I plug my bass into my digi tech BP50 then plug my effects into my behringer UCA202 then finally plug it into my computer..

ok, so I can hear my bass through the headphones that I'm using.. but when I start to record my bass using audacity it doesn't pick up the sound of my bass it doesn't record at all.. what's the problem?? is there something I forgot to do or what? thanks!!

2. Is this a usb device? If yes open audacity then go EDIT------>PREFERENCES------->I/O MENU, make sure your audio device is the one marked for input.

Also if after you record something and you can't here play back check the output device and change accordingly

3. Gidzkun

Gidzkun

May 16, 2010
    I've managed to record my bass guitar by directly connecting my bass into my behringer UCA202, now the problem is I can't hardly hear the sound of my bass when i use my earphones plus there's a loud noise like a static.. how can i get rid of that?

4. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    The track you're trying to record to - what is the input source selected? Is the track armed? Did you click the record button (not just play)?

5. Gidzkun

Gidzkun

May 16, 2010
    its my first time using this software so I'm not really sure.. yes i click on the record button, input source selected?

in the audacity preferences
    payback (connected on my speakers Realtek)
    recording (analog audio in)

what do you mean by track is armed?? sorry not familiar about this software first time to record..

6. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    There's seven different menu links above 'File Menu' in the online Audacity manual (File, Edit, View, etc.) Spend time with those menus and how to use the features.

7. Gidzkun

Gidzkun

May 16, 2010
    I tried playing with it but still after I record, I can hear my bass but the static noise is just too much.

8. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    I don't use Audacity, so I can't tell you exactly what widgets are where, but in all the hosts I DO use, you have to specify the input source for each source (usually on the track display itself or in track properties); arm the track to record (otherwise you'd record over all your other tracks); then hit record/play.

9. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Oh yeah, the very first thing you should do: open the Help file. It should contain all the steps to get you started recording.

10. Gidzkun

Gidzkun

May 16, 2010
    I managed to boost up my bass, now I can hear it clearly even when I"m playing with a song.. what I did actually was to play with the "bass boost effect", "amplify" and "noise cancellation".. the only problem is when i record there is still this noise, noise similar to a television with no signal.. can't get rid of it.

11. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    What choices are available for this?

12. Gidzkun

Gidzkun

May 16, 2010
    In the audacity preferences

recording (the choices are)

Microsoft sound mapper input
    Analog audio in
    Microphone (I selected this but I can't record there's an error)
    Line in
    SPDIF
    phone line

playback (the choice are)

Microsoft sound mapper output
    SPeakers
    Realtek digital output

13. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Make sure all your cables are pushed in all the way, then try each of the input options.